Water outlet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m posting this having been reading the water bottle thread.

i admit to total ignorance of aerial slumber.

I understand the fluid input side of the “Water Bottle” thread. The fluid output element is mind boggling. Is a hammock so very hard to get out of.

As a ground dweller I am thoroughly used to digging my way out of my pit for a wee. I’m just back from a few days at Bala Lake where I found myself doing exactly that in the middle of a frosty moonlit night. It wasn’t arduous. I would do this whether or not formal facilities are available. That’s what bushes and shovels are for!

I’d be grateful for a tree dweller’s (and others) views.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Depends how cold/wet it is outside for me.

If it’s very cold, it’s a kneel up (or sit at edge of camp bed) and fill up a hot water bottle.

If it’s not too cold out, I just get out and find a suitable lavatree.

Not sure I’d risk it in a hammock, just in case I lean a bit too far and end up face-first on the floor and damp.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've always carried a bottle for use as a night time toilet. I've learnt from experience that.....

1. Getting out of a sleeping bag to go for a pee when it's -20 isnt worth your life or the time spent on dressing/snow brushing/undressing/dressing. Just pee into the bottle inside your sleeping bag. Lay in your side and make sure your '12th man' goes in properly before you pee.

2. Doing wet/dry drills in the jungle at night, with the real possibility of getting disorientated and lost, or getting annihilated by mosquitoes really isn't worth it. Lay on your side.......etc.

3. If I wake in the night needing a pee (ground dwelling) I'm really reluctant to lose the warmth of the sleeping bag and waste the time getting up, putting boots on etc just to pee. All that effort eats into my sleep time. Sleep is valuable. So I just reach for the nalgene bottle, Lay on my side......

Easy as that. To be honest, the discussion of peeing and how it has been discussed on the forum has really highlighted the maturity of our members. Such a subject is often seen as taboo or ridiculed elsewhere through embarrassment or that 'stiff upper lip' that refuses discussion over such things. Well done all.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
1. Getting out of a sleeping bag to go for a pee when it's -20 .
I´ve solved this by being like bears. That is hybernating through the winter. Well almost.
Fact is wintertime I go outside only when I must; go to work or shop for food. Otherwise I sit inside and would not dream of camping.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Reactions: Van-Wild

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hmmmm.
Well, I’m primarily a UK Winter camper. It’s never been cold enough or risky enough not to get up and get out even in the olden days when we had proper snow. Losing a little heat is irrelevant up a Welsh mountain at minus 4. My bag stays warm and welcoming. I get back to sleep very easily. As stated above: there was ice on the tipi two nights ago and I didn’t hesitate. I’m not tough and I’m not a prude. To me, it’s just logical. You just have to get the wind direction right.

I’m old enough now that I “sleep cold” and need a lot more insulation than I once did but I still get up and always shall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE