Water filters - Any experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
H

He' s left the building

plus the lifecycle on the Vario means It is unlikely I am going to have to replace anything....

After each trip, strip the device down and wash out the inside and the filter. Then pump a weak solution of Milton fluid through it, this will stop things growing through the filter between uses.

Don't let the filter freeze (it can damage a wet filter) and try to dry it before storage for long periods, again this will help stop things growing on the filter.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Another vote for a millbank bag and a boil. I also have a premac but I will use that if ever really in the doo doo.

GS

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have recently purchased the drinksafe inline filter which is fitted to my water bladder and offers clean safe water on demand or in camp will serve as a gravity filter.
The inline filter is not bulky and does 1600l before needing replacement. It comes with a variety of fittings including quick disconnect ones that I'm using.

My bladder is 4l platypus 2007 model (on sale at half price through Go Outdoors coventry)

Have a look here for the filter: http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php#AquaguardEliminator

Giles is very helpful. They make bottle style filters also. Also available from Backpackinglight.

Alan

Pennies permitted buying another cheap 4l (2007) bladder. So I have linked it with quick release fittings which allows me to filter between two bladders through the inline. I tried it today and 2.5l of water passed from the dirty to clean side in 6 minutes (400cc per minute).

Now when canoeing I can reduce the number of storage cans for water and filter on the fly.

Hope that helps.

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE