Water Divining

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Ment to pop this up a while a go, but forgot. Was trying to find an old sewer pipe for the old man in the summer and a guy i work with turned up with a couple of bits of wire (L shaped), Held them in his hands and started ambling across the fields until suddenly the bits of wire swung in on themselves. Pipes there he announces. I couldn't belive it and thought he was taking the p**s. especially as the pipe shown on an old map was a good 50 yards up the field. But away i dug and, would you belive, there was the pipe.
I'd always been a bit sceptical, but after having a go myself, WOW! It really does work. A great way to find springs out in the bush, and the old Y shaped hazel twigs work just as well.
Taught me not to be a sceptical sod anyway.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
My mum did this to find a waterpipe to a trough in the field because there was a leak in it that we needed to fix. The divining sticks or whatever they're called kept swinging together, but when we dug down there was no waterpipe. Eventually we found the pipe, but it took a while.
Anyway, mum was talking about this to one of her friends, who said that she'd probably been detecting ley-lines.
Mum has decided to leave divining sticks well alone now!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Have had it work for pipes and springs. Will be needing it again next spring as we are thinking of digging a well near the hunting shack. I've had the best luck with two "L" shaped pieces of brass brazing rod.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dowzing (with all it's various spellings) can be done with most any tool, from pendulum to forked stick to bent wire. Generally the size of the implement or the length of the pendulum line determins what you find, each item having a different"signiture".
I use "spiritual" dowzing for heath care/food supliment selection and find that working in an almost medatative state, in deep focus, works very well.
Tune into Spirit and you find it in all things.
John

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
John Fenna said:
Generally the size of the implement or the length of the pendulum line determins what you find, each item having a different"signiture".
NO IT DOESN'T!

That can be a good way of focusing your mind on what your looking for, but you can Dowz for anything with virtually anything. Sorry but that can really put people off if there just getting started.

Essentially dowzing of any kind is just a way of amplifying small unconscious movements whether it is the tiny movements of your hand as you hold a pendulum which makes it swing side to side or in a circle, or the way you hold the dowzing rods which make them cross or not. Which suggests that a part of you knows the answer all along and dowzing is just a way of tapping into that knowledge.

A good way if you haven't got any dowzing rods, the "L" shaped wires, or a pendulum or whatever is just to rub your index finger and thumb together in a circler motion. you'll fined if you ask a question to witch the answer is no, like "is there a spring where im standing", you just won't be able to do it but if the answer is yes you will, its weird I know but it works.

Back in my Granddads family home in mid wales when he was young they used to have to walk across a field to a stream in order to get water, they had dun a bit of dowzing and finely got round to dowzing for a spring. They came up with a spot about 6" away from the house. When they had enough money they got someone in to test it and found that there was a totally pure spring rite next to the house just where the forked hazel stick said it would be. After all those years of tramping across a field in all weathers they had all the water they could use rite next to the house all along.

My Nan learnt dowzing with a hazel stick from them and still does it a bit today. I could never get the hang of the hazel myself, it seams to have a knack to it. Also according to my Nan if you get a strong reaction it can take all the skin off your knuckles. I mainly use a pendulum, although im not very good with it.

P.S. One thing not many people know is that a lot of mineral prospecting companies and surveying firms employ dowzers as well as more conventional methods, my Dad used to be a surveyor and said that they don't like to publicize it but it is quite common.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
WhichDoctor said:
NO IT DOESN'T!

Essentially dowzing of any kind is just a way of amplifying small unconscious movements whether it is the tiny movements of your hand as you hold a pendulum which makes it swing side to side or in a circle, or the way you hold the dowzing rods which make them cross or not. Which suggests that a part of you knows the answer all along and dowzing is just a way of tapping into that knowledge.

A good way to check this yourself is to draw a straight line on a piece of paper/card and hold a pendulum directley above the line, with a majority of people the pendulum will start to swing along the axis of the drawn line. Now, with the free hand, turn the card through 90 degrees and wait about double the lenght of time.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I've bimbled about with pendulum dowsing in the past. I've absolutely no idea how it works but it does seem to. Dunno why but hadn't thought of it in the outdoors context, but a small pendulum may find its way into my pocket for my next trip out......

And like whichdoctor says, you can do it with anything, like a set of keys for example.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Glen said:
A good way to check this yourself is to draw a straight line on a piece of paper/card and hold a pendulum directley above the line, with a majority of people the pendulum will start to swing along the axis of the drawn line. Now, with the free hand, turn the card through 90 degrees and wait about double the lenght of time.
Which gives rise to the question - can blind people dowze?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Emma said:
Which gives rise to the question - can blind people dowze?

The example stated is a fairly well know phenomena ( in certain circles ) that shows how we can non-consciously respond to visual cues in small ways, I'm sure blind people can respond to other than visual cues, as can sighted people, but may be better at picking up those non visual cues than sighted people.

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
Back when my father was alive we had a fence company. Working in housing areas we often were digging around a lot of wires and pipes. The locator company was often late coming out. Rather than wait he would get out his two L shaped rods and and locate the telephone and power wires. I have seen him find water pipes and plastic gas lines as well.
One Sunday we were at a family gathering and the topic came up. There were the usual nay sayers and sceptics in the croud so he got a coat hanger and a wire cutter and made up a set of wires. He proceded to find as many coins, keys, and other small objects as we cared to hide in the grass of a small area of yard.
We were drilling a well on my sister's building lot. He offered to locate water for her and she refused. The well company used a geologist to find and dig a $1500.00 hole that was bringing in 1.2 gallons per minute. When they offered to dig a second hole in the geologist's next best guess location she broke down and called my dad. He walked the front of the lot with wires and announced that he could not find any noticeable difference over the entire front yard. He went to the side yard and found an area that made the wires twitch and cross that ran across from the property line to under the house site and out into the back yard. He announced that there was water (or something) there. This was 85' from the 1.2 gallon per hour hole in the front yard. He told my sister to dig there and if they did not find water he would pay for the hole.

At 75' deep they were getting 12 gallons per minute in the area he picked out!
:35:

I would say his success rate was better than 90%. I can find assorted things a little better than 50% of the time myself. If I visualize the thing I am looking for the success rate seems to be a little better. I have come to believe that on some subconscious level we all can sense objects, fields of energy, water, electromagnetic variations, ect. It is jsut that the constant chatter of our minds covers most of it. The wires act like needles on a gauge to show what we sense but do not realize.
:cool:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry to post the only dissenting post, but in controlled experiments, dowsers perform no better than chance would expect.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And what do you expect?
Having found various items that were invisible to the eye (including canoe seat bolts in deep grass by triangulated dowzing) I expect very good results!
As to the pendulum length NOT having any effect on what you dowze, I am only passing on what some of the most experienced dowzers in the world state and which seems to work for me as well.
I agree that you can find almost anything with almost anything - a bunch of keys on a string works as well as a crystal on a silver chain - and that focusing on yes/no answers to clear mental questions is important.
We could get into deep philosophy here with the idea that dowzing reveals knowledge we already hold - as part of the universe/creation we all hold the spark of creation within us, as does everything in creation. As that spark links all things, all things are within us so we are part of all things and therefor have universal knowledge. Find that inner spark, tune into it and find the knowledge you seek!
For novices in dowzing there are lots of good books out there in google land!
For novices in philosophy too!
John

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
John Fenna said:
And what do you expect?
Having found various items that were invisible to the eye (including canoe seat bolts in deep grass by triangulated dowzing) I expect very good results!

John

Anyone who can demonstrate dowsing skill under controlled conditions can claim a one million dollar prize from the James Randi Educational Foundation.

So far, no-one has succeeded.

http://www.randi.org/library/dowsing/index.html

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
we've got one of the land drainage guys at work how does some dowzing. I've been out with him trying to trace drains and sewer connections.

We've marked out where he said the incoming pipes join the system and where they go. We've then followed by camering the system for mthe inside and he has been spot on.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Only tried it once and was very surprised at the result.

My folks and I bent some welding rods and set off down the garden looking for a well which was marked on an old map on the wall of the village pub. The map didn't have a point marked, just the word "well" beside my folk's garden.

Halfway down the garden we got our first "hit"(for want of a better word).
Sent my mum off across a field to stand on the cover of the local drain. There's another cover in our neighbour's courtyard and there was much eyebrow raising at the fact we appeared to be registering where the drain ran under the garden.

Bunch of cynics that we are, that piqued our curiosity enough to continue.

Down the bottom of the garden we got another hit(again, both my dad and I).
Presuming that the well had been filled we set off to dig down a bit and see if we could notice any difference in the earth/clay boundary from that of the rest of the garden.
First spade sunk in and slammed into wood. Within five minutes we had exposed one of half a dozen railway sleepers. Lifting it we discovered that the stone-walled well was fully intact and had been covered in a very professional manner :cool:.

My mum was rather put out. Her rods were all over the place all the time. Our suggestion that she was doing it upside down and picking up the moisture in the clouds didn't go down too well :rolleyes:.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
John Fenna said:
As to the pendulum length NOT having any effect on what you dowze, I am only passing on what some of the most experienced dowzers in the world state and which seems to work for me as well.

Sorry about that :eek: , but years ago when my mum first started looking at dowzing she read a book that was very much that way, it was so complex and convoluted (at one extreme the book said to find certain elements you needed a pendulum 20ft long :eek: ) It put her off for years. Im not denying that it can help but some people say that it is the only method that works, I thought that was what you were saying sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE