Wasps Nest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I think I have a wasps nest (or possibly a bees nest) in my loft. It would appear to be active as I recently climbed a ladder on the outside of my house to check some tiles and either a bee or wasp flew out of a gap left by a tile which had fallen out. This gap leads into the loft and in one of the eaves is a nest about the size of a small football. I tried ringing the council but was told they won't come and remove it until May as wasps arn't active till then (haven't they heard about global warming messing up creatures life cycles?). I then checked on Rentokills website but I can't seem to find any indication that they will come out and remove it for a one off fee.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i'm pretty sure you can get wasp killer spray that goes deep inside the nest with a probe. wear gloves etc and give it a crack it should stop it becoming a major pain later in the year.

i've dealt with larger ones outside, never indoors tho. shame its not somewhere you can use the old 'butane torch attached to broom handle'... problem solved!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Good luck with that one Zammo. I have destroyed a couple of wasp nests in the past couple of years but they have been quite open (one on the allotment and one in the garden shed) and used a product in a can which gives a directional jet of killer foam and is available from B&Q, Focus etc. I was also pretty well covered and padded up for it.

The fact that it was open meant I could observe exactly what I was dealing with prior to any action taken. I could see the exact size of the nest as well as having the option the run like hell if needed to.

With this being in a loft and therefore speed, mobility and the uncertainty of species and size being major issues I would say it's to dangerous to attempt yourself and to look at yell.com and call in a professional outfit.

Or you could have a few beers, get brave and go in with a kitchen collinder on head and (as Squidders suggests) a can of WD40 and lighter in hand :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
matt-w said:
I have destroyed a couple of wasp nests in the past couple of years but they have been quite open (one on the allotment and one in the garden shed) and used a product in a can which gives a directional jet of killer foam and is available from B&Q, Focus etc.
That sounds like the stuff my Dad has used on numerous occasions indoors and out and he swears by the stuff as you can stand a nice long way away :D

LocalYokel

Feb 16, 2007
Brizzel.... Argghhh
I've done this a few times before (one of which was a comedy of errors and almost led to me breaking my neck) and used a wasp nest powder both times. Waite unitl early evening (but still light) when most after they are all in the nest and then give a good covering round the entrance and leg it. They will come out all ****** off and take it back in with them when the return... they don't last long.

... not as fun as a can of WD40 but it avoids potentially awkward conversations with the insurance company about hot the house really burnt down :lmao:

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
sounds like a wasps nest to me if the football looks papery then its definite.

I have used petrol before now to kill off nests. Its the fumes that kill them so no need to add a match. however I appreciate combustibles and homes aren't the best of mixes :D

Im sure ive seen purpose designed aerosols that have a big enough squirt range to give you a head start without having to concern yourself with a quick descent down a ladder controlled or not.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I used a can of foamy stuff on a nest in a car, I wore full NBC suit including respirator gloves and harry black round the ankles! Wasn't worried about the fumes, was more worried about the wasps! The spray was really good it gives you a fair range and blasts through the walls of the nest. I have used a Motorbike helmet and leathers, with a couple of scarfs around my neck between the leather and the helmet, to investigate nests before too. I am not scared of wasps but I am terrified of being stung!

If you do decide to go with the WD40/lighter route you could sell tickets! :eek:

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Zammo said:
I think I have a wasps nest (or possibly a bees nest) in my loft. It would appear to be active as I recently climbed a ladder on the outside of my house to check some tiles and either a bee or wasp flew out of a gap left by a tile which had fallen out. This gap leads into the loft and in one of the eaves is a nest about the size of a small football. I tried ringing the council but was told they won't come and remove it until May as wasps aren't active till then (haven't they heard about global warming messing up creatures life cycles?). I then checked on Rentokills website but I can't seem to find any indication that they will come out and remove it for a one off fee.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks.

I do, I'm a Pest controller .

You have two options, first you can do it yourself or you can pay Rentokil to do it for you.

If you want Rentokil to take a look, then PM me and I can get it sorted for you.

What colour is the nest? Could be an old nest. Wasps only use the nest Once! and never come back to that nest. Could be that you have a new nest starting but it is early in the season. A nest the size of a football would suggest one of two things, first it's an old nest from last year which will not be used again, ever. OR it could be Bee's, in which case you have a more complex problem.

I'm not really supposed to talk about pest control on an open forum, so feel free to PM me, if you need any help or advice.

John

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
The one time I had pest controllers round to deal with exactly that (and incidentally, the nest was resting on the floor and they were eating their way through the plasterboard ceiling), the guy sprayed one can on the nest, cut it open and sprayed another can inside.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm not sure I can add anything to Hunter Zero's advice, but I'll mention what I've done in the past. Use a Wasps nest killer spray or a pump spray with bleach in it(much safer than petrol). Give the nest a good dosing when the weather is cold (remember that your central heating or hot tank might warm the loft space) in the evening. Then wait a few days before looking for evidence of many dead wasps under the nest. Ensure you have a means of escape should things go wrong and the means of isolating the loft space behind you.
Oh, and check if are you allergic to wasp stings - mate of mine was, didn't know it, and ended up in hospital :eek:

If you can remove the nest whole, give it to a child to take into school as kids seem to find them fascinating!

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I was advised that one way to deal with a wasp/bees nest is (wearing gloves!) to get a fishing style net or bag/sack ie deep, knock the nest into it and then twist the top to keep wasps in. Then drop the whole lot into a deep freeze. If you are feeling humane the cold will reduce the activity of the insects so you can move them elsewhere - if not - afew hours in the freezer disposes of them cleanly with no risk to yourself - never tried this though!!

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
If people remember I had a lovely wasps nest forming in my coal house last year. This time of year the Queen is forming her main nest and her drones are helping build it. I was recommended to use Nippon ant killer powder by various members on here. After a good dowsing around their entry point (i.e hole in the roof space where they get in), the poor mites take the poison powder on their legs back to the main nest where it infects the rest, killing off its inhabitants. After a day or so (usually in the evening when the blighters are least active) then you sprinkle more of the powder near the entry point to the main nest. I have found this method to be very easy, safer and much cheaper than using sprays etc.

Well you could always give this a go first and then use more extreme methods.
A good way of killing off the odd wasp is to use saopy water in an spirator type bottle (mist sprayer), a good few squirts and they go down like flies. Remember though not to squash them, as the chemical released will attract its friends.

Good luck.......

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Aliwren said:
I was advised that one way to deal with a wasp/bees nest is (wearing gloves!) to get a fishing style net or bag/sack ie deep, knock the nest into it and then twist the top to keep wasps in. Then drop the whole lot into a deep freeze. If you are feeling humane the cold will reduce the activity of the insects so you can move them elsewhere - if not - afew hours in the freezer disposes of them cleanly with no risk to yourself - never tried this though!!

I deal with a LOT of nests and would most certainly NOT advise anyone to do the above. It takes a long time not to be scared of the wasps and you risk many accidents before you stop that worrying. If anyone gives this ago, your a better man than I.

John

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just to clarify the nest is about the size of a small football, the ones that are a little bigger than a tennis ball. Also I forgot mention there is no floor on the section of the rafters that the nest is attached to, (theres only boarding in the middle section of the loft).

I just managed to get into the loft armed with my head torch and camera and took a picture.

The results are a bit scary. I couldn't see this before but the camera flash has revealed what looks like maybe another nest to the right (partially covered). Plus I'm not certain but does that look like a nest on the left, which has already been sprayed?

waspsnestbv1.jpg

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Looks like one on the right, and thats the one you need to watch. Thats where mine was and when I removed the remains, they had nearly eaten through the plasterboard into the room below...

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
If you cant get the big boys in, the Nippon would work a treat on this, as you could gently sprinkle the powder, heaping it over the nest, especially near the entrance hole. Again, I know how scary these things can appear, so take your time and good luck...

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Holly crap, just went back up there to check out the other nests, I saw another very small one to the left of the white splodge. But before I could take a picture I heard tell tale buzzing, I looked around to see a wasp, I've never moved so fast legging down the ladder (banging my knee in the process) but he still followed me. I got into the bathroom and grabbed a towel and a tin of lynx (to spray him) and then headed out I managed to wack him several times with the towel but unbelievably he didn't die and just got angry. In the end through pure luck he flew into the bedroom and behind a roman blind (in the mean time I frantically closed the loft hatch so no more followed), then I was able to undo the window and he flew out.

Definately getting the big boys in for this job. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE