Wasp Stings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
Is it just me, or are wasps bigger nastier and more full of poison this year?

I've been stung, and so has my dad, jst sitting in the garden minding our own

i was stung 3 days ago and its still sore and itchy, dont usually get any problems when i've been stung before

any news?

thanks, russ

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
there seem to be alot more wasps around this year, we get loads in our garden as we have 3 apple trees which attracts them all, wasps seem normal however there is a growing number of hornets.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
had a close encounter with a very nasty looking hornet today, i wouldn't say im scared of those kind of things but it did make me feel rather uncomfortable.

TJ

TwoSticks

Aug 15, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Apparantly wasp stings are alkali, so you can neutralise with a mild acid - vinegar for example. Bees are the opposite so you need to neatralise with an alkali like sodium bi-carbonate (baking powder)

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
A local farmer to here was stung after disturbing a wasp nest and very sadly he died. whilst out picking plums etc there are a lot buzzing around the trees etc. Note to self be more careful and dont wear shorts.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i always have a can of waspeze around tis time of year when our aphid munching friends switch to fruits and terrorise drunk throught the country

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
A local farmer to here was stung after disturbing a wasp nest and very sadly he died. whilst out picking plums etc there are a lot buzzing around the trees etc. Note to self be more careful and dont wear shorts.

I was brought up on a farm in Lancashire, we had an orchard (OK, it was a field with a few pear, damson and victoria plum trees). Wasps were such a menace that we had to hang jam jars with an inch of jam/water syrup and a few holes poked into the top to trap the wasps and I swear you could have 1/2 a jam jar full of wasp bodies in 24 hours.

Wasps are nasty in numbers, they scent the victim when they sting to focus the attack and thus disturbing the nest can be really bad. Seems pretty obvious but get em off you and get away as soon as you can. Don't think because there's only a couple on you it can't turn really nasty if there's a lot of them about.

Interestingly today we were out with the kids at a swing park with loads of wasps buzzing around the rubbish bins where folks had put their ice cream wrappers. I was walking ahead with my 5 year old and turned round to find my wife, who had been sorting out our 3 year olds shoes, sidling towards me saying a wasp was on her and nibbling at her.

I flicked the wasp away from a mole that she had near her arm pit and found that the thing had drawn blood. She wasn't stung, she was being bitten.

I have heard of this with North American Yellow Jackets but not the UK Common Wasp before.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I remember as a child my parents used to keep a couple of jam pots on sill outside the kitchen window, some years were worse than others and the pots had to be emptied and re-charged a couple of times a week. My theory is it's relative to the available food the years when the fruit trees were groaning under the weight of the ripening fruit seemed to be the years when we were plagued by wasps.
When I was 12 years old I was stung loads of times when my friends and I thought it would be fun to blow up a nest in the base of a tree stump with a home made "bomb" ( Yes I've said it before I was a horrible kid, not in an evil way just always getting into mischief lol)I was grounded for a week which was ok as I didnt feel very well for a few days anyway, taught me a lot of respect for them they may be small but there are lots of them so unless they start on me I let them alone

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
My eldest daughter got stung on the leg this evening while we were on the beach. By the way that she came limping over to me I was expecting to see an exit wound. :)

There do seem to be quite a few about.

Yesterday we were watching a large spider when suddenly a wasp flew in, jumped on the the spider and hacked off its abdomen before flying off with it. I was surprised to learn that wasps acted in that way.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Yesterday we were watching a large spider when suddenly a wasp flew in, jumped on the the spider and hacked off its abdomen before flying off with it. I was surprised to learn that wasps acted in that way.

A bit of Googling and I found that the Common Wasp in the UK lives entirely on Fruit but it feeds its larvae meat, commonly from insect kills. Wow, quite similar to the Yellow Jacket then.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
There is supposedly a new species of wasp to Britain around this year, smaller and much more aggressive, so if you are out in the wilds some sugar water in a jam jar hung from a nearby tree as a trap should keep them away from you. If you are at home and get stung use vinegar on wasp stings then ice to cool the area of the sting, otherwise just use the ice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye i had one as soon as i got stung...to no avail...its still itchy
checked for the stinger in me but its not there...just frustrating

I hate that kind, lasts for days :( If it's still inflamed I use an anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen too.
Wasps are nasty, but clegs.........clegs are the reason the devil is called the lord of flies I reckon :(

Hope it settles soon,

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE