washing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
washing why do it cos your in the wilderness and yes i agree washing of hands before eating and after certain jobs and toileting
but when it comes to body washing why bother cos u could always just jump in a lake you come across every now and then.

its the same as shaving in the wilderness why bother why not just go as nature intended you know what i mean

anyways your opinions please and i dont mean that you should never get washed i just mean why do it every day i,e get washed every three days say but defos change your underware cos thats just wrong not to

drew

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Smell, comfort, tick-check.......

I have a neighbour who decided that germs had rights too, and stopped washing for a couple of years :rolleyes: it was not pleasant to be near him :sigh: his family were at their wit's end with him. Frankly the stench would have turned your stomach.

I have friends who live outdoors in benders and so on, all year round. They wash as the opportunity arises to visit friends with running water. Can't say they smell, certainly not outdoors, but they are absolutely filthy ( a lot of it is both mud and the smoke from their fires) and they are looked at as though they're jaikies when in town.

My father met an old man down the lochs; the old fellow had been a whaler, on one of the late Victorian steam whaling ships :) but had first gone to sea on a sailing ship :)
He said that on one journey they'd come across an Inuit umiak, blown so far off course that the people had no chance of landing ashore. The crew brought them onto their steamship and lifted the umiak aboard with the davits. Their guests were taken down to the fo'csle and given hot food and a place to sleep in the warmth.
"Keep them cold son, keep them cold." the old whaler advised my Dad.
If you live outdoors in the cold, you don't sweat the same, it evaporates, body odour doesn't get quite as rank........but warm it up, and oh dear heavens :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

Bearded Bugs

Apr 2, 2012
Cornwall / Sussex
There's nothing like a quick dip and wash in a cold river in the morning to wake you up and start the day well. I don't know what it is - possibly just psychological - but I feel a lot more energetic after a cold wash than no wash at all.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll never shave in the outdoors, life's just too short for that carry on. I only shave at home because I don't suit a beard, blonde beards are just not right.

I do wash though, personal hygiene and all that. I just prefer to freshen up if it's a warm one and I've been paddling or hiking all day, for weekend trips I don't tend to bother so much. In winter I don't mind going a few more days without a wash, it's a combination of not wanting to get undressed for long in -15*C and less chance of getting all sweaty and minging.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'll never shave in the outdoors, life's just too short for that carry on. I only shave at home because I don't suit a beard, blonde beards are just not right..
:confused::banghead:Where's your Saxon pride ? A blonde beard is a prize in my eyes :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
washing is vital mate, its not nice once bacteria gets into your skin, pores and joints.....it causes sores and cracks in the skin, which then gets infected from more bacteria etc etc etc....

i try and wash every other day when possible, it also helps with circulation with cold water, and you feel warmer afterwards...

but on the flip side, there are situations where you cant wash, due to tactical situations, no light, no smoke etc etc...for this reason i did a 12 day stint on Brecon with out washing....:( it was not good, at all, the people in the services on the way home must have loved it...:rolleyes:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Yea gods and little fishes - Geyperman Legionario! Do you have the goat too?

I never expected to see that here.

:lmao:

What the heck IS Geyperman? I thought it was a foreign Action man? (it was a quick blonde beard google:))

Whats all this goat business? My Action man never had a goat, :lmao:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cracked me up :D I was thinking more along the lines of...
95febac8-eb8f-284c.jpg

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
in civilisation its the 3 S's everyday for me but when camping i generally use wet wipes to freshen up and shave when back at the mad house

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
washing is vital mate, its not nice once bacteria gets into your skin, pores and joints.....it causes sores and cracks in the skin, which then gets infected from more bacteria etc etc etc....

It's not just the bacteria, fungal infections can take hold really quickly, especially if you're wearing waterproof clothing. They can be very hard to shift afterwards too.

A quick once over with a damp flannel or wet wipe only takes a few minutes and I feel a whole lot better for it.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
What the heck IS Geyperman? I thought it was a foreign Action man? (it was a quick blonde beard google:))

Whats all this goat business? My Action man never had a goat, :lmao:

He is an action man style toy based on the Spanish Legion. The goat is his mascot.

According to my Spanish other half the Spanish Legion are reputedly very right-wing, pretty brutal, staunchly Christian and may get closer to their goats than is proper ;)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If i'm hiking and covering over 10 miles a day then i find if i don't wash well within 3 days i start getting sores in places that are rubbing or in contact with kit.

Psychologically i also tend to start feeling more run down when i feel dirty, which starts to affect my performance as small problems tend to get blown up out of proportion when i'm like that.

Shaving while out i don't bother with though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE