Washing machine + Dryer in the garden... help!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok guys, I know from what I read on this forum that you are a most ingenius bunch and as such I turn to you with my latest problem :)

We are about to demolish our existing kitchen to build a new one, the result being is that we (a family of four) could be without a washing machine for several months. Now I am after a very budget freindly solution to housing our washing machine and dryer outside our back door as a temporary arrangement whilst I do the work.

What can I bodge, beg, borrow, recycle, re-purpose to house such a machine? Sheds are just too expensive and we will just have no need for it after the build.

Place on your thinking hats people! All ideas worthy of consideration.

Many thanks

Leo

Thanks Ozzy

We do have a gazebo but the area where they have to go is only about 1500mm, that way I can get the pipework through the wall and there is some flat concrete for them to sit on. The rest of the garden looks a little like a cross between travis perkins meets the Somme at the moment!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Will you really need your dryer for the amount of time, especially as it's summer? Ours gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and we either dry outside or on racks in the house. Most stuff dries overnight. Will the washer fit in a bathroom?

I have to agree that the dryer should be done away with at least for the summer which would help. Unfortunately the bathroom is a little too small for a washing machine. The troubles of living in a Victorian terrrace, though I do like where we live! I'm moving towards the tarp idea, or at least some thick polyethene attached to a small timber frame. I have been looking at the rain pounding against the office window today and it minds me to do a better job!

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
What about a tent? With a board as a floor! Run a hose out to the tent extend the outlet into the garden and move the outlet every other wash so the ground doesn't suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What ever roof and walls you make you definitely want to raise it off the floor on some pallets. Thats where the damp will get in and eat them.

The posts that come up on this forum lol, brilliant.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have to agree that the dryer should be done away with at least for the summer which would help. Unfortunately the bathroom is a little too small for a washing machine. The troubles of living in a Victorian terrrace, though I do like where we live! I'm moving towards the tarp idea, or at least some thick polyethene attached to a small timber frame. I have been looking at the rain pounding against the office window today and it minds me to do a better job!

What about one of those cheap greenhouse jobbies - the little ones
http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-41082....n0E5l8iH_a122yJ1mLOq7Wdh4LDqCXLY2AMt9d6jw_wcB

Like this - maybe a bit bigger

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
An 8x4 sheet of 6mm ply is ..what £16? Make a box missing the bottom and one side. Then make a hinged door for the remaining side - sit it over the pallet you have. Make the top pitched so the water runs off. Paint it in whatever old gloss paint and varnish you have kicking about.

It wouldn't be hugely strong, but it will work.

If you want free, why not bodge something out of the cabinets and worktop you are ripping out?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Toilet tent on the palette?

Cheap ones seem around £25... and have a 1m square footprint and 2m high.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
An 8x4 sheet of 6mm ply is ..what £16? Make a box missing the bottom and one side. Then make a hinged door for the remaining side - sit it over the pallet you have. Make the top pitched so the water runs off. Paint it in whatever old gloss paint and varnish you have kicking about.

If you want free, why not bodge something out of the cabinets and worktop you are ripping out?

Kinda like what we used to call a "pump house" back when country folk all had their own water wells and pumps. Really just an oversized doghouse; but they're cheap and work just fine. Should do well for the OP. Then recycle the materials when you're done with it

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

That's probably your best way forward though it'll probably take 2 sheets of ply to make plus some 2x2 to reinforce the joints :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
What about just making a rectangular timber frame out of 2x2 and then to keep costs down simply tack a cheap surplus tarp to the frame that way it won't flap about in the wind and it will be light to move and probly cost less than £20

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE