Wanted childs lifejacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
I've just finished patching up and refurbing an old fiberglass boat that I found and would now like to get out and enjoy it with the kids(SWMBSO doesn't do small crafts).

My lad is 3 and my daughter 11 and I was wondering if anyone had any jackets surplus to requirements they were willing to sell?

Regards Matt.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
Hey Jay,

the budget on this project is quite tight so second hand as opposed to new would be the prefered route, many thanks for the offer.

Regards Matt.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm going to sound like a real w&@ker and killjoy here but if a secondhand lifejacket fails can you get a secondhand child to replace? Sorry a subject close to my heart. If you do go secondhand please try to get it serviced, I think the RNLI still offers advice/guidance. Apologies for my rant and mods I'll slap my own wrist.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Not at all chum I thought lifejacket=inflatable, my bad. If you can get a foam one try to get one with crotch straps, the slippery little devils have been known to slip right out of the jackets. Hope you and the family have a great time :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm going to sound like a real w&@ker and killjoy here but if a secondhand lifejacket fails can you get a secondhand child to replace? Sorry a subject close to my heart. If you do go secondhand please try to get it serviced, I think the RNLI still offers advice/guidance. Apologies for my rant and mods I'll slap my own wrist.

Don't apologize for giving good advice.

A couple of years ago my sailing buddy and I went for a bimble on the Humber. We're both experienced sailors and when we turned up near the lifeboat station under the Humber Bridge looking like a pair of numpties the guys from the station came over to have a chat. They asked us about life jackets, flares, radios and other gear and when we showed them that we had all that sneaked away in the boat, they were quite surprised because it was a high-performance thing a bit like a two-man skateboard, with sails, but nowhere obvious to put anything.

Anyway, just before launch we started checking over the gear and Andrew (I'll call him that because that's his name:)) decided to test inflate his life jacket using the mouth tube. The fabric of the life jacket didn't leak, but imagine our surprise when the whole tube came off in his hand when he started to let it down. Andrew had bought that life jacket new, it was less than five years old, and to us it looked fine until it broke. It was a plastic part that failed, not the fabric of the jacket.

Of course he'd have died if he'd had to rely on it. Now we weren't expecting to do that, even if we went in (and we _were_ expecting to go in, and we weren't disappointed:)) but you just never know. Anyway after the smug grins we'd given the guys at the lifeboat station, imagine our embarrassment when we had to go and cadge a life jacket from them for the day. It was either that or go back home. They were really very good about it and hardly made us feel like idiots at all. We carefully washed all the salt off before we gave it back.

If it's a small boat, I'd recommend not getting an automatic inflating jacket. After a particularly wet beat into Walton one night on a much bigger boat, Andrew's automatic went off in his bunk while we were eating. The little bit of soluble stuff that triggers the inflation had somehow got wet even though it was folded inside the waterproof pouch in the jacket.

Probably better to get one that doesn't rely on inflation at all for a youngster, you don't know if they'll have the presence of mind to pull the cord if they go over the side, and certainly for one as young as three. At least if it's second hand and it's not an inflating one you have a better chance of inspecting it to see if it's likely to work, and perhaps of it working if it's needed. But old parts are still more likely to fail on anything.

relfy

Nomad
Just foam? Then it sounds like it is a buoyancy aid rather than a life jacket that you are after. Wish I'd known sooner - I have one that might be ok for your 11year old and I'm in Cornwall at the moment, but the jacket is in Gloucestershire!
Strictly speaking, you SHOULD change even a buoyancy aid every 3 years as the stitching fails etc. And mine is much older. As someone else says crotch straps for a child are a must really, as they sink and the buoyancy aid doesnt and just lifts over their heads. This one doesn't have them either.
For an adult a minimum of 50 newtons is respectable for a buoyancy aid I think... I forget what it is for smaller children, but can look it up for you.
What kind of water are you going to be on with your boat? A buoyancy aid may not be the right thing really... It does depend a lot on the activity and what kind of risk there is.

Last edited:

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Technically speaking....

Buoyancy aid is a jacket with foam to assist you in keeping afloat when in the water... You usually see people in canoes, sailing dinghy's and general watersport enthusiasts wearing these.

Life jackets can either be the self inflating/manual inflating ones that you see on large boats or foam filled jackets...
The difference is that foam filled jackets which are classed as life jackets have to have buoyancy behind the head and are usually advised for children. The foam and added buoyancy on the chest and behind the head on foam life jackets means if a person falls face down in the water and is unconcious the life jacket should turn them over keeping their head above the water.

Hope this helps...

relfy

Nomad

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE