walkabout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup, I saved for a bit an trekked around the south west and wales for about three months, it was a few years ago, but it was great. only slept outside, so only needed money for food and bits(didn't fancy working for it), I think it is more a question if you can afford the time really.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Then do it chap. I really love this country, and theres so much to see, especially away from the main roads. and if your not reliant on times, you know like bookings or closing times or even loading times for ferry, busses and stuff it just so much better.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
scotland is great for it... as is north wales... you've got loads of abandoned villages and bothies to sleep in and you are allowed to wild camp in some areas....

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
If i wasn't tied down in life thats what i would like to do,but i have a woman to keep happy plus a couple of kids to boot....oh to be young again. Have a go, make a plan on where you want to go or maybe just hit the road.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Google maps gives you the option of walking routes if you want a rough look at what's possible. Plus excellent coverage of the UK thanks to OS maps. Most libraries have at least a local selection so you can pop in an photocopy what you need to save buying the entire catalogue. Plenty of ferries to Europe for foot passengers if you're looking to further afield.

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
is it possible to go walkabout in the uk and possibly europe

You can certainly walk.

However, "walkabout", as I understand it, was what Australian Aborigines did when they followed songlines. That's something that's inherently structured. (Structured by the song/route - which are, in a sense, the same). What's interesting about songlines is that it seems that the ground isn't conceptualized in terms of areas but in terms of linking routes between specific places. When you learn the song, you learn exactly how to get from A to B to C, and so on, learning the (supposed) significance of each place at the same time, and the song works when you move at about 4 miles per hour (which is walking pace). Bruce Chatwin claims he once gave a lift to an Aborigine who was following his songline and confused him until he slowed the car down to 4 mph. According to Wikipedia, walkabout was part of the rites of passage for youths, which I either hadn't known or had forgotten. However, whoever wrote the entry adds that the term was used for any periodic departure of an Aborigine to walk along his songlines.

I think what you probably meant was something fundamentally un-structured - Wandervogel stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandervogel

Yes, you can do that in Europe. People have been since the nineteenth century (and far earlier, although not with that specific form/ethos).

Rambling Man

Apr 10, 2010
SE England
Ah, a subject close to my heart.......
If your thinking about it now i guess you'll end up going sooner or later!The only thing i'll say is that it can become addictive....for some of us anyway!

...Afoot and light hearted i take to the open road,
Healthy,free,the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading where ever i choose
Henceforth i ask not good fortune,
I myself am good fortune,
Henceforth i wimper no more,postpone no more ,need nothing.
Done with indoor complaints,libraries and querolous critricisms,
Strong and content i travel the open road
................Walt whitman

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I've walked the length and breadth of this country. Every major route including John o'Groats to Lands End. If I had my time over again and I was your age I would do something spectacular, something to tell your grandkids. You don't need money with the skills you have, you only need the time.

I would walk around the entire coastline of England, Scotland and Wales. Probably take you a couple of years working now and again to earn a few pounds but what an adventure you would have and what a tale to tell. Regards, Geoff.

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
I have been walking around the SW coast of England since 2007 in four day stretches- started at Minehead in Somerset, down the coast to Lands End and at the end of August I will go from Plymouth to Newton Abbot via Kings Bridge. It will be my 11th hike and they are usually about 50-60 miles a go. My route is a somewhat amended version of the South West Coast Path because I tend to follow the nearby C- roads (more chance of a pub as well!) but I would imagine that you could do the entire coast path in a single go in two or three months. Although at this stage, my end point is Poole in Dorset, I have thought, like Rommy, that it would be great to just continue around the entire UK coastline.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
WOW! What a good idea. To just head out and wander where you feel like. I must admit I'd love to just sell up and start walking. A simple kit bag, just enough to get by then walk out your front door and walk. I suppose you'd end up doing most of the first bits on roads. For me I'd walk straight up the A6 then through SIlverdale and Arnside area into the LAkes then on to Scotland. Once in LAkes there are so many paths ot take. I would like to just walk them all. Then move on to SCotland.

But alas it will never happen. I guess I must take solace in the fact that I can walk in the Lakes every weekend (and do unless I'm off in Scotland or WAles) then evenings in SIlverdale and Arnside areas. I am so very lucky in that respect. Lakes is what I call my turf or patch. Still learning it after many, many years of coming here. I do find that you might know day route walks but it is only when you stay up in the hills and walk for a week or more that you truly learn the area. I did a two week stint round the Lakes a few years back withonly one re-stock. I loved it and was totally relaxed ina way I have never felt before or since. I guess it was not just my first proper backpack (DofE trip andovernighters from cars never really counted) but was my first real backpacking trip. A kind of spiritual re-awakening. A bit melodramatic I reckon but I still get that feeling of completeness when my tarp is pitched high in the hills I have a brew and am just sitting down relaxing with nothing more to do but chill.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you want to simply 'walk' around Europe the answer is yes, if you hope to try and live of the land as you go, then that would be a little tricky.

I know a man who each year spends at least a month in Sweden and he takes a small folding fishing rod to supplement his food intake but I don't think you'd have much success doing that elsewhere.

Europe is crisscrossed with hundreds of long distance footpaths most serviced by mountain huts, hostels or tourist houses and as most of them connect to each other you could keep walking for as long as your money lasted.

Here are a few

France has an extensive system of interconnecting footpaths, some good for a days hike while others will take weeks to complete. Wild camping is not permitted, however if you are sensible and far from civilization you will get away with a 'stealth' camp. A list of French routes may be found here.

The GR65 would take you from central France to the Atlantic coast of Spain, that will keep you busy for a month or two.

Germany offers the excellent 'Westweg' (Black Forest Trail), links here and here.

Hungary has several well supported and well marked routes, the 'Kéktúra' or 'Blue Tour' will take you from the Austrian border to the north east of the country, maps, photographs and English text may be found on this website.

Romania provides a slightly more ruffty-tuffty walking experience in the Fogaras Mountains of Erdély (Transylvania). This English language website will provide you with photographs, routes etc.

Turkey will give you a real sense of adventure on its long distance paths, the 'Lycian Way' provides a varied landscape and many interesting encounters with man and beast throughout the thirty odd days it will take you to complete. An English language website may be found here.

:)

Last edited:

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
what an awesome thread. i would do this in a heart beat if i had no commitments. alas, i have to find my adventure in other places like trying to get jobs IN the wilderness areas of britian like the highlands.

DREW,DO IT or you will forever just wish like the rest of use arm chair 'shrafters. don't plan, just pack n go!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE