Wales- where to go??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone :D

Me and the 'other half-goat' were thinking of getting away for a week or so to wales, seen as its so close & easy to get to from here!
Just wondered if anyone could recommend good places to go walking and stay etc?? We dont really want to stay at campsites, we were thinking more of wild camping, but just not sure where?!?

Any help or advice would be great...

Thank youuuu :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Some things to see/do:
Pistyll Rhaeadr (highest waterfall in Wales), Elan valley (can't recommend this one highly enough as a place, but no camping allowed on the estate. However, see here), +1 for Gigrin farm feeding site, and its a good campsite too. Also Pembrokeshire coast, if you travel that far, and once the kids are back in school things like Skomer Island nature reserve will be much quieter, albeit with no puffins. Snowdonia is obvious, as are the Brecon Beacons, but I really love the Black Mountains in south east Wales, and the hills of mid wales are so quiet. Oh yes, and the Centre For Alternative Technology is a great place to visit. Go canoeing on the Wye too.
For wild camping try Nannerth farm - I've not stayed there but the location is great and they do allow fires.

PM me if you like, and I may be able to add more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have a look at lone Wolf Campsite, Neath just outside the Gower

Its wet at the best of times, autumn and winter are just too wet underfoot, no fun in that.

I'm in South Wales and some lovely spots but how about driving up the A5 to North Wales, the beauty of Snowdonia etc, some great sites up there and the coast is not far. Shell island is a massive site and will be quiet the end of season masses of room, lovely sand dunes etc. Look at

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=5875 fires are allowed.

Have fun.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You do not want to miss Pembrokeshire - I can get on the hills and not see a soul all day even in the hight of the season :)
Several places are bushy friendly ... a couple even owned by members of this forum :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Theres the rub - I cannot recall the usernames of the owners of the sites!
Nor their websites!
Give a shout on here and it should be answered though :)

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Not sure of any campsites but Snowdonia is absolutely beautiful and well worth a visit. I used to go on holiday to Wales every year as a kid (stayed in a caravan park in Llandudno) and always went for a drive/walk through the mountains. I'd love to walk up Snowdon one day. My sister lives not too far away so may have to drag her along one day :) I'd recommend visits to the slate mine and electric mountain.

bearbait

Hay-on-Wye is the famous booktown (where the 10 day literature festival is held each year). Thursday is market day if you want more bustle. Has a castle which is also a bookshop. Also convenient for the Black Mountains as Harvestman recommends. Can also drive thru the Black Mountains on the Gospel Pass from Hay for a beer and a spot of lunch in the crypt of Llanthony Priory, in the midst of the mountains.

Canoeing on the Wye also available from Hay.

Climb Pen-y-Fan in the Brecon Beacons - the tallest mountain in southern Britain. Multiple and varying length routes up. A half day hike can bag it from the Storey Arms on the A470.

Another + for Gigrin.

Have a great trip...

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Anyone mention Bala or Langollen ? yet

Bala is good, and from the southern end of the lake, take the road going due south. It passes aome impressively wild peaks, and then at the summit (this is the highest altitude road in England and Wales, by the way) it plummets steeply on the far side. Take the left turning at the top of the descent and go to see Llyn Efyrnwy (Lake Vrynwy if you prefer). You won't be sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE