Viking brooches.... where do I get them from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone :)

I'm making a Viking style apron dress, have being making it for what seems like forever! Anywho, I'm pretty much finished now, got some tablet weave braid (thanks to toddy :D) and now i'm onto making the bling!! ;) I have made the necklace (as you can see below) actually think it might be a little bit too heavy, so may take a layer off :confused:

Anywho, was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the viking style round brooches from, to hang the necklace off and also pin the apron together:confused: I have looked everywhere!! Found a few but most are really really expensive! Just wondered of anyone out there may be able to point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Fionn :eek:

vikingbeads1.jpg

By watergypsy at 2012-02-20

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a three lobed one at the reenactors market, but the tortoise shaped ones are really expensive, and they are also far too heavy.
I've handled real ones and they were a fraction of the weight, beautifully detailed and almost dainty. The reproductions are crude and heavy and unwieldy to wear.

If you come across fine ones anywhere I have friends who do viking reenactment and would love some too.

atb,
M

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hi,
Toddy is right, as with most reenactment jewellery for the Viking period, it is all made too big and too heavy in comparison to the originals.
We have replicated Gotlandic Viking kit for my wife, pretty much copying grave finds (with the help of Dan Carlsson at Visby museum) and the little animal headed brooches we has made from an original pair are tiny in comparison to other copies.
The "tortoise" brooches are always expensive. There are some flat oval types that were in use mainly in Sweden in period which can be found cheaper.
With no affiliation I can recommend Holger Ratsdorfs stuff at http://www.hr-replikate.de/englisch/home.htm and Markus Niedharte at http://www.replik.de/
Also, check out www.podol.de/
They are all German sites that I have used and who provide top quality products and service.
Of course, if you wanna be a Viking, you have to be flash and flash = cash unfortunately.
All the best
Dave
(sometime Dagfinn Ospakkrson)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
DFCA those links are brilliant :D
Thank you :cool:

cheers,
M

sorry Boatman, cross posted while I was typing; thank you too for the link :D

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland may also be able to help out and there is always Jelling Dragon:

http://www.jelldragon.com/viking_jewelry.htm

Debs uses the small ones made by Alban Depper and available through Jelling Dragon in the UK.

ad47t.jpg
ad47t.jpg

They are not cheap but they are reasonably weighted and very good quality.

As mentioned, most reproductions are far too heavy to wear properly, they look wrong because they hang wrong.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's very tidy Launditch :D

Could it be done from phosphur bronze wire ? or from the silver coated copper stuff I have a big hank of ? It's 2 or 3ml thick though.
I bought it years ago with ideas to make into a torque and never got around to it.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE