Ventile - is it warm?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Have a look at the Keela website.

A Scottish company (it has been known to rain up here), they supply mountain rescue teams and they do make stuff in muted colours. The Munro jacket is a full-on mountaineering waterproof jacket, but they do make others, including a coated ventile job.

Cheaper than Berghaus/Sprayway too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I own the Munro in an earthy colour and have also tried their waterproof dropliner lined Ventile jacket (not "coated").
Both are excellent but I find the design of the Ventile a little too much like a shooting jacket for my needs/desires.
I find the West Winds double Ventile great for winter and warm enough, dry enough and spark retardant enough for my needs.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
John, what's the advantage of double layer Ventile in winter? I would have thought that for warmth you just need more under layers, so maybe you mean for rain in winter? I am interested in what you say about double V in snowy conditions, as again I can't imagine the benefit so perhaps you can help me as I would like a ventile smock myself, and I haven't had one [for long] before. Also, it's snowy here for a few months in the winter.

Incidentally, do you have any experience with the Antarctic Smock? Is the West Winds price worth it? Saying that, it's much less than Snowsled.
Cheers.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Double Ventile is more waterproof and has an "air gap" between inner and outer so is a little warmer than single Ventile.
The Antarctica is a great smock for very cold dry conditions (such as Antatctica!) being wel designed for superiour wind resistance with sleeve baffles and a good neck baffle.
The properties of Ventile also make it great for damper conditions as well!
I would say well worth the cost.
In Wales snow tends to be wet so the double comes into its own, for dry, frosty, weather with some dry snow the Antarctica would be ideal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE