Velcro - pointless and unpleasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 31, 2009
Sevenoaks, Kent
I have just removed 32 small pieces of velcro from a Regatta outdoors waistcoat. Every pocket flap had at least two closures. Each closure acts like a small scouring pad to scratch exposed skin and pick up lint. They stick to anything woolen that comes close - gloves, hat, jumper. The make a vile noise every time they are used which will send any wildlife into the next county. The only reason I can see to have the dratted things would be if I spent a lot of time actually upside down, or on a trampoline. Am I alone in thinking this stuff should be banned from gear for ordinary use?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not its greatest fan either

It has its place - but I agree its over used. One place I like it is on the wrist closers on my Ventile smock. It has huge sleeves (a good thing as I wear a fleece under when its cold). I can put gloves on inside the sleeves and do the sleeves up tight over the gloves due to the fact that its infinitely adjustable. I can do this even wearing mittens. A similar quiter effect could probably be achieved with a double D ring but that would levae a big flappy end.

Red

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I remember the first time I experienced Velcro, it was in 1966 at Army Basic Training. I was issued a M65 jacket with the velcro, it was the latest and greatest. I thought the stuff was brilliant. Well as a soldier it is too noisy for quiet use in a combat situation, at least when you are on a recon patrol or behind the lines in enemy territory! The US Army has now plastered it all over the field uniforms, the ACU's. It is on the sleeves, the chest, the pockets even the front placard has velcro. What are they thinking? When washing these new ACU's they cannot even be placed in a dryer because of all the velcro, they have to be hung dry.
I can accept a little velcro in moderation but as pointed out, it sticks to everything, especially wools and fleeces. Another bad experience I have had while in the field for the army, is that anything in a pocket sealed with velcro is probably going to get lost and fall out, unknown to the user.
I feel your pain!

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
why I like buttons me :)

Mind you last night when I was out in my hammock I couldn't help but think that I'd make a fortune if I could invent a silent zip.

The morning bliss was shattered when getting out the sleeping bag and when opening the bug net!

Last edited:

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I absolutely DESPISE velcro. Made the mistake several times of not checking thoroughly when I buy something or have gotten too excited about the cheap price. Later on I've cursed myself because of some damn velcro part. Nowadays I buy stuff that only uses buttons or very little of velcro. Glad that there are still companies producing such items. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I dislike velcro intensely but even I have to admit it has a few uses. I must confess I actually used some in the construction of my snow parka because there was literally no other option in the place I needed it.

I know I have changed my purchasing decisions many times to avoid the stuff where possible though.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Interestingly when I was speccing my SASSKit smock I wanted a button-fastened storm flap but Paul steered me very strongly towards Velcro, saying that buttons were a nuisance, snagged on things etc.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
What do you think of the velcro? I have some on the storm flap of my sass smock and its the one thing I dislike about it. Its always sticking to what I'm wearing underneath and has made a mess of a couple of jumpers.

Interestingly when I was speccing my SASSKit smock I wanted a button-fastened storm flap but Paul steered me very strongly towards Velcro, saying that buttons were a nuisance, snagged on things etc.

Aug 31, 2009
Sevenoaks, Kent
I agree buttons can be dangerous on jackets worn by shooters, stories of them catching in trigger guards and firing guns accidentally. This is why poppers were invented. I will concede velcro on cuffs, but only provided the soft felt side is all that is left exposed. Presumably those who love the stuff never go out in wet weather?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland

I think I would I would disagree with that to an extent. My issue arctic windproof has a couple of velcro bits on the cuffs and stormflaps but the pockets are button closure. I'd actually say that whilst buttons will catch on things occasionally, because they are smooth plastic, they tend to slide free when you apply some force. The only exception is with fine netting, so it can be a right royal pain in the **** under lightweight cam net. However, if velcro catches, it makes a noise and everything falls out of your pocket. So, horses for courses and all that - how much cam net will you crawling around under?

I guess that, as stated above, velcro has its place but I think it can be overused and is often placed as a shortcut to functionality when better design would actually be the answer.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I find velcro generally great on clothing- cuffs foremost, but useful for storm flaps- just so much quicker, and a more windproof seal. If the garment is well designed then i suppose it can help limit catching on other layers. Useless for pockets though- so annoying! Poppers are a bit of an evil in outdoor kit in my humble opion- fiddely, and almost always require two hands to fasten.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Velcro's good if your hands are cold and numb. Try opening/fastening a button under those conditions - it's impossible.

Manufacturers use Velcro because it is cheap and easy. Buttons or laces or side release buckles or snaps all take more time and effort to put on and cost more as well.

Not to mention that it is noisy, wears out quite quickly and is in many cases difficult to replace, gets clogged with debris and mud and snow.

While there are instances where it is appropriate, I rarely use it in the stuff I make, and strive to replace it on any gear I buy as soon as I get it.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Dear bushcrafters. Velcro was invented by a swiss mountaineer, inventer & keen dog walker who, so it is said, on seeing burrs so well attached to his dog's fur after a walk in the hills, decided to examine them under a microscope, saw how it worked & set about trying to imitate it, after a little trial & error "Eureaka !" patented in 55 & has been with us ever since revolutionising fastenings,a design based on nature & made by a man who loved the great outdoors.................I think it's over used nowadays but it does have it's uses.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My opinion fwiw is that Velcro on the wrist closures of sleeves is great, on neck closing area of an o/head smock is ok, certainly better than stud or zip, on pockets..great if you want security but not good if you're in and out of them all the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE