Vegetarian Camp Food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hi,

I've not done too much camping out in the wilderness and so an not that experiened at campfire cooking. I'm looking for recipes/suggestions for vegetarian food that is easy to cook on a campfire and doesn't weigh too much although that's not really too much of an issue.

I'm thinking of taking some dried noodles and was thinking that this time of year I'm sure to be able to find something growing that I can add to these, but don't know what and could do with some advice here please.

Thanks ;)

GDB

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If I'm cooking for vegetarians I often make a curry with soya mince (TVP). A dribble of oil. A couple of chopped onions, some garlic paste, some tomatoe puree and curry powder. Fry off together then add a spoonful of flour to absorb the oil. Add water or vegetable stock slowly, stirring until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency. Take your TVP and rehydrate it with boiling water. Drain off the water and add the reconstituted TVP to the curry sauce. Cook for ten minutes or so.

The longer you can fry the first ingredients, the more cooked out the curry powder will be, the less cooking time it needs to simmer. In the meantime cook up some rice to go with it. Just before serving the curry, stirr in a teaspoon of Garam Masalla powder and I like a handful of sultanas chucked in at the last minute as well.

Alternatively, reconstitute TVP as before and add it to powdered chicken soup. Eat with buttered bread buns or unsweetened bannock.

Eric

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
This thread came to my mind first. There are also a number of other threads on veggie food in this section I think.

Breakfasts... well I always have porridge. (OK, sometimes cold uncooked porridge (ie musli) if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to get out of my nice cosy sleeping bag...) Oats, dried milk, sugar, and water. (Or Oats, salt, and water if you're feeling Scottish. Personally I prefer being a sweet-toothed English blasphemer.) In late summer and autumn adding things like blackberries or plums or anything else nice is really good too, or you can take some dried fruit with you.

Lunch. Well there are recipes for bannock by the dozen around here. If you don't want to try bannock then perhaps you could take along sandwiches or something, or do the soup/noodle thing.

Dinners. There's loads of things you can make veggie. Easiest are stews - bung in some veg you like, some carbohydrate you like (that's potatos or rice or pasta or noodles or cous-cous etc etc), and some protein of your choice, which can be just about any veggie protein that isn't milk or cheese. That means any combination from various beans, lentils, TVP, soya stuff, quorn stuff, chopped up veggie sausages or burgers, seeds and nuts. I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. Peanuts actually stew really well, and cashew nuts are lovely. All other nuts I've tried stewed have been pretty good except brazils, which need a vigourous bashing first and don't normally quite taste right in the stew. The exception to that is if you've flavoured the stew with soy sauce, then they do seem to be good. (Well, to me at least...)
You can fry veggie sausages and burgers, so if that's what you normally eat, then it might be an idea to start with that for your first few times to get an idea of the speed of cooking over fire because you already know what it should look and smell like when done.

My dinner on Saturday (admittedly cooked on a gas stove *sigh*) consisted of nettles, dandelian leaves, dandelion flowers, beech leaves, gorse flowers, sunflower seeds, spaghetti, pre-chopped broccoli and carrot, half a stock cube and some black pepper. Nothing special, but it was still good.

If you have a favourite soup, then boil up your greens and carbohydrates, (drain them) and add the soup and warm it through. Draining water but keeping cooked leaves in the pot can be tricky, and is only necessary if you're using tinned soup. Depending on your protein choice you'll either boil the protein with the greens or just warm it with the soup...

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Brekkie - porridge, oatso simple sachet, fortified with sprinkled on apricots and nut mix. Possibly pre-boiled eggs.

Dinner- spinach pasta fortified with cuppa soups for sauce and precut courgettes and peppers and Sacla organic sauce. Pppers and Courgettes can be grilled ontop of a pan lid eg the swedish mil. trangia lid, whilst the pasta is boilng. Once the pasta is bolied, use the drained water for a cuppa, then add the cuppa soups for flavour.

Bannock is a goer as it can be sweet for brekkie or savoury for tea.

Honey contaiers are tricky but cyclist gel style squirt packs can be reused safely.

HTH

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE