Vacuum Packing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well I've started dehydrating food so the next thing is storage.

What Vacuum Packing machines are you guys using?

Are the silvered pouches worthwhile?

I can see that the dehydrator is going to help with the executable gluts we get as small holders. What's the next step?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I went with an Andrew James model, seems OK.

The silver pouches are not really meant for machine vacuum sealing. They are used with Oxygen Absorber packs to create the vacuum. The Mylar stops light getting at the contents so aids preservation.

You can use the Mylar bags if you want in a vacuum seal machine but you have to place a small sliver of plastic in the opening to allow the air to be sucked out. The dimples embossed on normal seal bags are what let them work and smooth bags like Mylar won't work.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
What's the next step?

Whichever you go for ... Use rolls rather than bags, try to get a sealer which will work with generic rolls rather than just their own brand, putting meat into almost sealed zip locks gives you a greater chance of re-using that bag, making your bags over-size means you can save and reuse bags (refer back to meat bit ;) ), putting a label of contents (with any instructions) inside means it can't be rubbed/washed off en route ...

And make sure you double bag sharp food before you vac-bag it as spiky edged shards can puncture the bags :eek: :sigh: :11doh:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I found an Andrew James at £39.99 and a professional one at £59.99 is the difference worth it?

I think they take rolls.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think they take rolls.

EDIT: (To answer the question :eek: :sad6:) Yes, they do :D

No experience of their vacuum sealers but their dehydrator has served me well ...

One of the immediately obvious differences between the two sealers you mention is that the professional has the facility to vacuum seal specifically designed cannisters ~ which could be useful to you? :dunno:

Price/deals elsewhere are always worth looking into but their own site is doing the Professional with three (differing sized) cannisters and the required linking tube for £65 ~ linky thing. I couldn't see a reference to the tube being included with the 'standard' Professional model, you'd need to check. At £25 the three cannisters aren't cheap so three for an additional £5 over the price you've seen the Professional for might be worth it ~ £55 on the Andrew James site, but I've not looked at or calculated in S&H/P&P into the prices.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think I went for the professional though have never used the jar sealer bit.

+ 1 about spikey food. I dehydrated several tin canned meals like curry and chilli and found they become sharp when dried and will puncture the plastic. When I placed in foil then vacuumed they stayed ok for a year at room temp.

If your anything like me you will vacuum seal everything but the cat on getting your machine so get a spare roll of the material!

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I've got the Andrew James I think it is the professional one as it has the containers as well and it seems to do what I want. If you seal stuff with liquid then stopping the vacuum and then just heat sealing is a bit of an art form, with dehydrated then it's fine. We get a lot of use from ours which is more than most gadgets.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I've always wanted to try and make my own boil in the bag stuff, but never really found anything that is really useful. I thought you might be able to either decant canned food into them or stuff I'd made myself. Not sure if you then just let it cool or refrigerate it or whether you can just put it in the cupboard. Not sure on shelf life either.

Saw the ones in Lakeland, not sure about taking the plunge though. I wonder how they make the military ones or even those 'Look what I found' pouches.

Would be interested to find out more.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
have had the Lakeland one for a couple of years and it is a fine machine. If you get most of the air out by hand, the plain heat seal bags lakeland sell also work well, esp if just sealing for a freezer and then used within a month or so

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
EDIT: (To answer the question :eek: :sad6:) Yes, they do :D

No experience of their vacuum sealers but their dehydrator has served me well ...

One of the immediately obvious differences between the two sealers you mention is that the professional has the facility to vacuum seal specifically designed cannisters ~ which could be useful to you? :dunno:

Price/deals elsewhere are always worth looking into but their own site is doing the Professional with three (differing sized) cannisters and the required linking tube for £65 ~ linky thing. I couldn't see a reference to the tube being included with the 'standard' Professional model, you'd need to check. At £25 the three cannisters aren't cheap so three for an additional £5 over the price you've seen the Professional for might be worth it ~ £55 on the Andrew James site, but I've not looked at or calculated in S&H/P&P into the prices.

With the canisters that is a great deal but it's out of stock now.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You ought to consider how little space your clothing will take when it is vacuum-packed.
If void is of more concern than weight on a fly-in trip, think twice about how you pack.

For my old bones, the food thing on the ground is just as much a consideration as comfort and water.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Got mine from Lakeland plastics, don't vacuum pack bread though, I put a ciabata in, it ended up looking like a pickled walnut !.

Rob

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I use a JML vacuum sealer that I got off evilbay.
As others have said use the rolls rather than pre-cut backs as you can cut them to sizes that suit you.

I have also used it to make boil in the bag meals, all day breakfast is always a winner but make sure you pop them in the freezer for 10 minutes or so if there are any juices or sauces otherwise they will get sucked up into machine.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I've always wanted to try and make my own boil in the bag stuff, but never really found anything that is really useful. I thought you might be able to either decant canned food into them or stuff I'd made myself. Not sure if you then just let it cool or refrigerate it or whether you can just put it in the cupboard. Not sure on shelf life either.

Saw the ones in Lakeland, not sure about taking the plunge though. I wonder how they make the military ones or even those 'Look what I found' pouches.

Would be interested to find out more.

I have decanted canned food into vacuum bags. I have only ever made them up and used them within a couple of days. I suspect as soon as the can is opened contaminants will get into the food so to keep any length of time the vacuum packs would need to be heated in a pressurised system like they do with all cooked and packed long life products or frozen and used a day or two after defrosting?

I was wondering if we could do something similar at home in a home Pressure cooker? The trouble is get it wrong and you can come unstuck. I believe Botulism is of very real concern in improperly canned goods so could be a problem in a DIY situation? The vacuum would help the Bactria as it thrives in an anaerobic environment.

It's like the Rice storage stories I hear about. One would be led to believe there is a nasty bacteria that lives in cooked rice and can't be killed by reheating? Then I wonder how Uncle Ben does the cooked packaged rice pouches without killing anyone?
I think as long as you heat food enough to kill all nasties and then seal in sterile containers while hot it will be safe. Maybe hard to do at home?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I have decanted canned food into vacuum bags. I have only ever made them up and used them within a couple of days. I suspect as soon as the can is opened contaminants will get into the food so to keep any length of time the vacuum packs would need to be heated in a pressurised system like they do with all cooked and packed long life products or frozen and used a day or two after defrosting?

I was wondering if we could do something similar at home in a home Pressure cooker? The trouble is get it wrong and you can come unstuck. I believe Botulism is of very real concern in improperly canned goods so could be a problem in a DIY situation? The vacuum would help the Bactria as it thrives in an anaerobic environment.

It's like the Rice storage stories I hear about. One would be led to believe there is a nasty bacteria that lives in cooked rice and can't be killed by reheating? Then I wonder how Uncle Ben does the cooked packaged rice pouches without killing anyone?
I think as long as you heat food enough to kill all nasties and then seal in sterile containers while hot it will be safe. Maybe hard to do at home?
the problem is not the bacteria but the waste products of the bacteria. It's all to do with speed of cooling once cooked.

Uncle Ben has lots of industrial tools and UV lights I suspect

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey

To be honest I only really make up the boil in the bag stuff just prior to a trip so it's always pretty fresh.
I haven't got round to trying canning yet but have had several mentions of botulism etc... When researching it.

I can confirm that the boil in the bag meals can be frozen which should inhibit/kill any bacteria and then again (if any remain) in the heating process.
Freezing them would allow them to be stored subject to suitable space if needed or, as I do in the summer, means they can be packed last minute and will slowly thaw out ready for the next day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE