Using wire instead of cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
A few years ago, I attended the woodlore campcraft course. Part of the course concentrated on making camp furniture by binding lengths of wood by looping a length of fencing wire round the wood, then twisting the wire loop with the handle of a pair of pliers. This struck me as being a wonderful way of creating something. But I cannot find any reference to this procedure any where. I was told on the course that it used to be used extensively in New Zealand right up until the late twentieth century. Can anyone help by telling me what this method is called, and where I can get more info?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ron Edwards Bushcraft books have a lot about using fencing wire for construction, in fact there was lots of stuff just made from the stuff. The whole series is big on making stuff from empty Kero' tins and jam jars and fencing wire.

The Cobb and Co Hitch could be what you are referring to?

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/usingwirerh.htm

ATB

Tom

Oops Mr Fenna pipped me to the post!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE