Uses for an old tree saw and rip saw?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I picked up an nice old tree saw and rip saw that was destined for the skip yesterday.
I may have a go at restoring the tree saw to its former splendour but what about the rip saw?

Suitable for making some small carving knives or not?
byvyqybu.jpg

asutu8yg.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm a wee bit confused - not sure what a "tree saw" is? I'm assuming the larger two man 4' saw is what you mean?

Its really hard to tell, but the 3' one man saw appears to be a crosscut grind rather than a rip unless my eyes are off?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Now now Red, lets not poke fun at the simple folk.
Cross cut/rip saw its just a saw to me but the owner who kindly gave it to me described it as a cross cut saw so who am I to argue. He's had it some 40 years before me.

The one I'm thinking of putting a torch to is that saw. The other is a two man 4foot jobby which even I can guess is used to cut trees.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now now Red, lets not poke fun at the simple folk.
Cross cut/rip saw its just a saw to me but the owner who kindly gave it to me described it as a cross cut saw so who am I to argue.

Not sure why you think I was poking fun?

Crosscut and rip are ground differently and serve different purposes (cross grain and along grain cutting)

I would have been happy to describe the differences and tell you how to restore them, but I'll let someone else reply since I am apparently poking fun - sorry you feel that way.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I'm a wee bit confused - not sure what a "tree saw" is? I'm assuming the larger two man 4' saw is what you mean?

Its really hard to tell, but the 3' one man saw appears to be a crosscut grind rather than a rip unless my eyes are off?

I suppose unless we could accurately measure the angle of the grind we would struggle to determine the use between ripp or cross cutting as both grind configurations were used dependent on the type of material being used I.e green or seasoned wood mid 40s for cross and mid 60s for ripp if I'm remembering correctly

Either way they both cut trees so tree saw was good for me :pokenest:

As for the question you asked Bucephalus in my experience the steel isn't particularly good after its constant subjection to heat transferred from continuous friction but they look great in the cave

Ps please don't clean them there old leave them old :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suppose unless we could accurately measure the angle of the grind we would struggle to determine the use between ripp or cross cutting as both grind configurations were used dependent on the type of material being used I.e green or seasoned wood mid 40s for cross and mid 60s for ripp if I'm remembering correctly

??

A rip saw is ground with a uniform tooth bevel at 90 degrees to the line of cut. A crosscut saw has teeth with the bevel at alternate angles. Tooth angle, kerf etc. isn't what defines function or distinction.

This may help

rip_and_crosscut_saw_teeth.png

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
??

A rip saw is ground with a uniform tooth bevel at 90 degrees to the line of cut. A crosscut saw has teeth with the bevel at alternate angles. Tooth angle, kerf etc. isn't what defines function or distinction.

This may help

rip_and_crosscut_saw_teeth.png

But how does that answer the original question :confused:

Suitable for making some small carving knives or not?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Gee whizz folks.
I'll just hang the dam thing in my cave.
Handbags down now and play nice with the other children please!

Mouse, when are we going kingfisher hunting then? I miss all the fun ;-)
(Is that a "saw" point? If so, don't be "cross" with me or "rip" me a new one when we get together next)

((See what I did there?))

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Lovely old saws. Made for a time when men were generally tougher (or breakfasts bigger!)

I used saw blade material to make a small bushcraft knife to pair up with a larger survival knife integrated into the same sheath. Gives you the best of both worlds without hardly increasing the weight any. Just an idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE