Uses for a Bandana or hankie !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for the bandana. I don't own a shemagh but I think I'll have to rectify that.

A bucket or pail is a jolly useful item too.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I seem to remember being told about some of them uses with a scout neckerchief :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't forget

hqdefault.jpg

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I think a shemagh is another useful accessory but I use that differently I don't blow my nose in a shemagh or use so frequently as its primary function is as a scarf.I have moved on to using a scrim net instead of a shemagh these days. I agree a folding bucket is another great multi purpose item which can be really useful.

Rik for a Welshman is unusually optimistic about weather conditions I feel; I have never had the need to use my hanky as knotted head wear but its an option possibly when visiting Brighton or other more tropical spots.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ivan and others often take the **** out of my frequent multi use of a handkerchief ;well I have found the definitive list posted on BCUSA so I put it here for education/entertainment

http://asher-resnick.us/180_Uses_for_a_Bandana.pdf

OOH! Only just spotted this, blimey, if you are going to borrow his hanky, make sure you do it within the first hour of setting up! Thereafter avoid any contact with it, just sit back and watch, you will be amazed!!

Ivan...

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
OOH! Only just spotted this, blimey, if you are going to borrow his hanky, make sure you do it within the first hour of setting up! Thereafter avoid any contact with it, just sit back and watch, you will be amazed!!

Ivan...

I have to agree with Ivan Steve your hanky ,or spanky as we call it should have a hazardous waste label it's been places no explorer should go

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
I like the suggested use as toilet paper and then two suggestions later was to wash the dishes with it. I hope that's on different trips after a turn round the washing machine.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I like the suggested use as toilet paper and then two suggestions later was to wash the dishes with it. I hope that's on different trips after a turn round the washing machine.

I will point out that although it may not always look that way I do not use my Hanky as toilet paper despite what Mouse and Ivan may say.They dont mention the times when a kettle needs taking off the fire they are shouting "hanky hanky", I was going to post pics but unfortunately the offending item went straight in the washing machine last night after our latest outing. Item of choice this time was a British Army sweat rag which I forgot to mention as an alternative.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I like the thought of using it as a tourniquet. You could have used it on The rodent to stem his blood loss but i fear septicaemia would have resulted by using Mr. Hanky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
We are often posed the question or statement "101 use's for something" Well i can tell you Mr Redandshane's hanky, beats all records for one item, and it is only a small piece of material!

If i were unfortunate enough to require a tourniquet, i would run the risk of further blood loss, rather than have that thing used, i would wait until someone used natural cordage from nettle or anything else for that matter, i even risk burn't fingers than call upon said item for kettle removal, even after breakfast watching him remove oil/debris etc from the camp frying pan, i still feel a little funny.

But good on you Steve for making such a simple item so versatile.

Ivan...

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
I've got an issued tourniquet that I take with me. I'm fairly sure I'd be completely useless at turning a hanky into one if I ever need one.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
anu8emub.jpg

The hanky in action

Regards Dave (caps lock )

Very good Mouse (use no. 102) One thing i have noticed is, when i was a kid, we used to see tramps on a regular basis i think every town had one, but since the popularity of Bushcraft they have gone to ground or the woods!

Thanks for showing us that "Tramping" Is still very much alive and well.

Ivan...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
On a serious note that is a Dutch army issue handkerchief being used to carry water from a stream in devonThe picture was unbelievably posed for the purpose of being used in this thread NOT to provide laughs for the sartorially elegant amongst us.Coming soon a Paisley bandana being used as a garotte in South Wales

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE