Unusual pets at home?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
We have got a bit of a menagerie here at home, and I wondered if you guys and gals keep unusual pets??

I'll start by introducing Dutch. He is a 14 years old European Eagle Owl, weight about 4lbs, 5ft wingspan. We have had him for a couple of years now. He lived in a bird of prey centre near us where my daughter worked. When the centre closed. Dutch came to live with us! Years ago, he was found by the police in the back room of a house occupied by druggies. He did not know how to fly even. He does now of course, but it took the falconer at the centre a long time to teach him.

DSCN0237.jpg

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice, the most unusual pet we have is a californian king snake which is about 4 - 5 ft long
leon

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Two Royal Pythons (Reggie and Rosie), Two Sinloan Milksnakes (Button and Fly) a Savannah Monitor Lizard (Frodo) and a Herman's Tortoise (Thomas)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I should have said also: 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 ferrets, 2 guinea pigs, one Corn snake, 5 or 6 African land snails, oh, and a hamster! We know someone who keeps dung beetles!!! :D

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
jojo said:
I should have said also: 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 ferrets, 2 guinea pigs, one Corn snake, 5 or 6 African land snails, oh, and a hamster! We know someone who keeps dung beetles!!! :D

Dung beetles, aren't they those bugs who push a ball of manure (of some sort) with their back legs for a "living" ? :D

It always intriged me to see people who have insects as pets. I've seen this small video of an asian dude who had roaches as pets. The guy loved them so much, that he even bought gem stones (the rare / expensive kind) to attach to his roaches. :eek:

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
we have 1 rotty, 1 german shepherd,1 german shepherd x greyhound,a cat,4 african land snails,2 bearded dragon lizards,2 hermanns tortoises,1 indian star tortoise another star tort booked,and the wife wants a hamster.we also had 5 lilac coloured andalusian chickens but we sold these when we thought we were moving.lol edited to add 2 yellow bellied sliders,i remembered them when cleaning their tank out tonite. :lmao:

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
jojo said:
We have got a bit of a menagerie here at home, and I wondered if you guys and gals keep unusual pets??

I'll start by introducing Dutch. He is a 14 years old European Eagle Owl, weight about 4lbs, 5ft wingspan. We have had him for a couple of years now. He lived in a bird of prey centre near us where my daughter worked. When the centre closed. Dutch came to live with us! Years ago, he was found by the police in the back room of a house occupied by druggies. He did not know how to fly even. He does now of course, but it took the falconer at the centre a long time to teach him.

DSCN0237.jpg

Thats a beautifal bird you have there Jojo how long can you hold him up for lol i can imagine he weighs a fair amount

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
He weighs about 4lbs at the moment, a bit heavy for a male. Yes it gets hard to keep him on the glove. 4lbs does sound much but it tires your arm quickly. But it's the talons you have to watch, about a 1" long with serrated edge and very powerful grip. He landed off my glove once on my arm and I was lucky to only get scratches. :eek: You would not want to be his prey, once they get something they don't let go except to eat it :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
EdS said:
down to 3 free range guinea pigs (had 13 at 1 point). Well the have free reign of the garden when we are at home.
I believe they do taste quite good. My son tried them when he was in Peru. The ones in the house he lodged in were free range and the owner just grabbed a couple as and when needed. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE