Unusual deer behaviour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Ok. So last night i trundled off into the woods for a solo night. Been into these woods a few times for tracking and such but not not been allowed to camp until now so I jumped at the chance now I am. Got my camp set up and a brew on and its now about 7:30 pm. Then this happens....

A roe buck trundles up toward the camp. Unusually bold he stops about 20 yards away and checks me out. Nice thinks I as he watches for a little bit. He the scarpers. So I think. He circles around me and starts heading towards me from the side. Stops 25 feet away barks and runs off. He proceeds to do this 4 times. With a mix of running about and moving towards, etc.

I decide that I am most unwelcome and dont want to sleep with this going on so as there is still some light I pack up camp and head out. With him FOLLOWING me until I am out of the woods.

I have seen roe at all times of the year. Heck I even get them in my garden and have never seen one this terratorial. Reading up it seems that this is prime rutting (feel free to correct wikipedia) for them and he was only protecting his ladies.

But i have been in other woods at this time of year and never had this happen. Anybody else?

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
The roe rut is generally over by now. I suspect that this was simply a young buck being curious, the rut is a confusing time for young bucks, it comes quite soon after the kids are born in late May or June so the relationship between yearling bucks and thier mothers changes. The mature bucks become more territorial and less tolerant. The idea of the buck protecting his does is less likely, I think you are confusing roe buck behaviour with that of red stags which hold a hareem of hinds. If you have year round access to this woodland, you have a great opportunity to study these deer. Roe quickly become acustomed to non threatening behaviour. Take your camera next time. Glyn.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've seen similar behaviour in young bucks this time of year. I've had one come right up to my hammock and bark at me in the morning, before turning tail and running off. It's quite a disconcerting way to be woken up.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've seen similar behaviour in young bucks this time of year. I've had one come right up to my hammock and bark at me in the morning, before turning tail and running off. It's quite a disconcerting way to be woken up.

Deer version of 'Knock-Ginger-Run!'??

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I wish i had my camera. The woods are in flux as they are currently up for sale. Going to go again in a week or so and will take camera. Cross fingers for good pics. Im used to roes and see them all the time. It was that i had not seen them quite so fiesty that got me. Ive certainy never been followed by one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE