Unknown Tracks - Could Be An Easy Solve

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Went for a quick walk in the fields up towards the wood today with the dog and with there being a bit of snow there's was loads of tracks. I'm by no means a tracker so could only just pick out the rabbits and the birds.
I came across these and had no idea what they are, does anyone have any ideas?

c1238431-d27c-717c.jpg

c123840a-d295-4f65.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
are not rabbit normaly with front left and eight one in front of the other? Rather than level, and the distance between the prints looks to be about a foot? Do hare move with there back feet coming through to the front? If so I'd say hare too, and a pretty big one at that.male, 30 with a job in city, a wife he loves and life he enjoys, but he has a history he won't talk about, it leaves a shadow behind his eyes.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
In my experience Rabbit nearly always puts down fronts and rears level with each other across except when going very quick when rears are level but front are a bit off set. They don't like soft snow and tend to do big bounds.
Hare always puts fronts down one well in front of the other almost on a central line and the rears tend to be off set a bit too.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Two blondes are walking through the forest when they come across a set of tracks. The first one says to the other, "look like bear tracks to me".
"No way" says the second, "They're deer tracks". "Saying that, theyre a bit small, perhaps rabbit tracks" suggested the first. "Or a shrew?" replied the second.

They were still arguing when the train hit them.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Can anyone show me an image they know to be a hare track with the fronts side by side like that?

I was teaching my son the difference between rabbit and hare tracks last week and round here it is easy because rabbits don't venture onto the moorland but hares do. Hares only register the heal of the rear occasionally though the original post is in deep snow so I could accept the heal showing, I don't see hare tracks round here with fronts side by side though, can anyone show me one?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I stand absolutly corrected, having now seen a great pic of hare tracks with the staggard fore feet. But he still doesn't talk about the dark moments in his past, especially from his time as an undercover bunny working to expose an underground hare coursing ring.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I stand absolutly corrected, having now seen a great pic of hare tracks with the staggard fore feet. But he still doesn't talk about the dark moments in his past, especially from his time as an undercover bunny working to expose an underground hare coursing ring.

You see, this is where your tracking is going wrong. Just look at the prints, you don't need to get that far into the mind of an animal, from that, it is a short step to madness and nymphomania. Trust me.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Robin and JonathanD are right on here. A Hare will never put forefeet down side-by-side, always one in front of the other. Another tell-tale sign is the size of the fore paws against the hind paws. Rear paws prints of Hares are significantly bigger in proportion to rabbits (up to 4 x as opposed to 2 x)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE