underground wasps nest!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Walking through the woods the other day, thought I would take a look at a rabbits burrow I had just noticed, only to find wasps had made a nest out of it.
Is this normal? I mean do they usually nest underground?
Decided not to poke it with a stick.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Walking through the woods the other day, thought I would take a look at a rabbits burrow I had just noticed, only to find wasps had made a nest out of it.
Is this normal? I mean do they usually nest underground?
Decided not to poke it with a stick.

Yes, they often take over disused burrows and even drains.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They are incredible structures, to think it is just paper made from wood they've scraped from fences, benches and trees is amazing. Go back in late Autumn when they've deserted it and crack it open to truly appreciate what they do.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That is spooky. I took some photos last night of two underground wasp nests in my orchard and was going to start a thread about it (I still am because it's got a different kind of story attached to it). I also have another one in the front garden.
It certainly is a regular thing, in towns and cities they're more likely to use man made structures. Out in the sticks they use old warrens, holes in trees, just about anywhere they can find.

They are incredible structures, to think it is just paper made from wood they've scraped from fences, benches and trees is amazing. Go back in late Autumn when they've deserted it and crack it open to truly appreciate what they do.

Many a time when I'm stood outside, I can hear them scraping away at the shed or the fence.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england

Yeah I think I will go back in the autumn and have a look. Better make sure its empty though.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
That is spooky. I took some photos last night of two underground wasp nests in my orchard and was going to start a thread about it (I still am because it's got a different kind of story attached to it). I also have another one in the front garden.
It certainly is a regular thing, in towns and cities they're more likely to use man made structures. Out in the sticks they use old warrens, holes in trees, just about anywhere they can find

Many a time when I'm stood outside, I can hear them scraping away at the shed or the fence.

Its more common than I thought, I took a picture with my phone but it didn't come out very clearly.

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
yeah, I've been told underground wasp nests are quite common.
i was walking back from the woods in a field along the back of some houses,( including my grandparents.)
my grandmother stopped to chat to her neighbours.
whilst this was happening i was watching some wasps go in and out of a nest in the giant compost heap in the field.
my grandad preceded to take the stick he was holding and to stick it down the hole. i ran to the house but had to wait for my grandparents with the keys but they were still chatting.

my nan got stung twice,
me and my dad three times ,
and my grandad 4 times.

he then had the cheek to say he was showing me what not to do.

Wattle

Forager
Nov 6, 2008
Scunthorpe
www.ncgl.org
I was digging into an old compost heap yesterday, when suddenly a football sized swarm of wasps appeared from the heap. Instanly they took a dislike to me, and attacked. I got stung about six times, but it could have been a lot worse, I brushed off about another dozen, before whipping my shirt off.

Gits

EddBamber

Tenderfoot
In my garden we had a pencil sized hole in the ground that wasps kept going in and coming out very wierd.

This year in my area im not sure about anywhere else but we've had alot of wasps. I also found half a wasps nest that had fallen out a tree, I bought it into my house to inspect closer. I couldnt see any in it so i left it over night and in the morning there were 4 of the biggest wasps i have ever seen crawling on it. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE