ultimate rifle carry case! + M73 compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
i have to empty my garage. anybody need a Hardigg storm i3300 rifle case? its the ultimate in long rifle protection. Used but not abused. foam inside still perfect, just a few 'as expected' scuffs on the outside. locks and wheels still working perfectly. case is totally waterproof. it needs to go, and i will post it but thats gonna cost as its huge! let me know if you're interested in swapping it.

if you are wandering what the trade value is then its about the £80-100 mark but i really aint interested. if you offer something cheap and i like it then its yours, no hassle.

the compass has a small bubble in it, but i havent noticed any inaccuracy. i have used it without issue on many occasions. let me know people!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I could be interested :). Is the foam uncut ? Do you have pictures by any chance?

Some idea of what you would like to trade for would be good.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd be interested in what you are looking for in exchange for the case? can you give up some ideas please?

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
here's the gun case people...

http://imgur.com/YrSVW7s
http://imgur.com/2tTsQN3

apologies for poor pic quality, i used my ipad...

as for things im looking for......?

if you have a Swazi Ranger, size medium (i'm 5ft 5in) in green or green checked then I will snap your hand off!

postage will be astronomical, so if you can pick up or meet somehwere in the middle thats not too ridiculously far then i think thats the best option.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
'Fraid not :( anything else might interest you?

no probs, what do you have that you want rid of (apart from a wife, i have one already and one is definately enough for any man!) im open to almost anything, i believe that the barter system should rely on what one has and what one needs. ie; what ever you have i may need! monetary value is immaterial.....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'll have a think, and tomorrow first thing I'll have a root about in the 'glory hole'.............

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry nothing in medium. Looked at DHL, myHermes and yodel and its overlong so they won't carry it. I had better leave it to someone closer as halfway would mean us both driving for an hour or more. Shame, superb cases.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
Sorry nothing in medium. Looked at DHL, myHermes and yodel and its overlong so they won't carry it. I had better leave it to someone closer as halfway would mean us both driving for an hour or more. Shame, superb cases.

I just put the dimensions (136.6 x 41.9 x 17 cm) into parcel2go.com and got a quote of £13.19 using parcel force if that of any help to anyone.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If there are two versions, the one in the OP might easily be the other? The one I posted was the only one I found on a quick search.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another search has revealed that there were actually three versions.

1) The version in my link (marked in degrees)
2) A version marked in the standard NATO mill system (6400 mils)
and finally
3) An Iraqi version from the 1970s and 1980s marked in the Russian mil system (6000 mils)

Apparently Iraq was still using British compasses but need them set up to use with their Soviet artillery. I can't get the link to work; I'll try to copy and paste the article. Sorry, I got the article but the pix won't post:

An Interestin M-73 Compass Variant

Posted on April 1, 2014 by Dick

What follows will appeal to few other than committed compass junkies, but I would like think there’s a few of you out there, so here goes.

The Francis Barker M-73 prismatic compass, made in the U.K., (shown below), is one of those rare things that lives up to its own press: the finest hand-held military compass in the world. It’s heavy and it’s expensive, but in terms of quality, accuracy, precision, and overall utility, they don’t come any better.

Standard M-73 Compass

The M-73 is available from its manufacturer, Psyer-SGI, graduated in either degrees or mils, but there was yet another version made decades ago that holds special historic interest. (At least to we aforementioned compass junkies.)

After the Allied defeat of the Ottoman Empire in World War I, Iraq, then known as Mesopotamia, became a British mandate and remained so until 1932. From 1932 until long after World War II, the United Kingdom was a powerful military influence and presence in the country.

The British Army adopted what was then called the Mark III prismatic marching compass in the 1930s. In nearly all respects, it is virtually indistinguishable from the present-day M-73, which remains a paramount example of the principle, “If it’s not busted, don’t fix it.”

In 1972, Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein signed a 15-year treaty with the Soviet Union. As a result, the Iraqi military began making extensive use of Soviet weapons and weapons systems, including artillery and tanks and adopted, as a matter of logical course, the Soviet mil system, which utilized a 6,000-mil circle instead of the 6,400-mil circle used by the U.S. and the other NATO countries.

Sadaam may have used Soviet arms, but the Iraqis used British compasses. Ordered and issued were M-73s identical to their western counterparts except for markings and a 6,000-mil compass card. A good many of them have found their way here the hands of returning American service men and women.

Below are the dials of three M-73 compasses, all indicating north. At left is a degrees model with the dial showing north at 360 degrees. At center is an M-73 graduated in U.S./NATO mils with north – 6400 mils – indicated. The M-73 at right is an Iraqi, with north set at 6,000.

All Three Dials

The quickest way to tell the difference between a “western” M-73 and an Iraqi is by examining the base. Immediately below is a standard M-73; beneath that is an Iraqi model.

Standard M-73 Base

Iraqi M-73 Compass BaseThough an Iraqi M-73 is a desirable collector’s piece, it is also readily functional with the application of a little math. To convert Russian mills to degrees, multiply the mils reading by .06. Conversely, to convert degrees to Russian mils, multiply the degrees by 16.666 (or 16.7, for rounded-off simplicity’s sake).

Every so often one of the Iraqi prismatics surfaces on eBay, but it never seems to be at a time when I can afford it. Oh, well. Perhaps one of these days…

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE