uk poisonus plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
the curiousity comes from when i wonder if our anchestors living in the neolithic period used poison on their arrows/ spears to increase their hunting effectivness.

Well apparently the word `wolfsbane` comes from it being used to tip arrows to shoot wolves with, so it has at least been used for poisoning arrows within the last thousand years or so. Maybe longer? who knows eh!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aconite was used to poison arrows of the greeks. Wolfbane and monkhoods are other names for it.

I have eaten hogweed shoots, and have little extra freckles on my hand forn the scars of gaint hogweed. There is recipe on here for flan with hogweed shoots in.

Amanita phalloides (Death Cap).

This WILL kill you if ingested, even in relatively small quantities, unless you are fortunate enough to get a liver transplant very rapidly.

There is no known antidote, and only a few supportive medicines that can "Improve survivability", but not neutralise the poison.

Hemlock can be treated with supportive medicine (ventilation) until the liver can metabolise it, as can any paralytic.

I guess I'm thinking of it from an attack/defence point of view (Security is my trade), and from that perspective I'd be more worried about Atropa belladonna (Nightshade, containing atropine) or Digitalis than hemlock. Nightshade is again fairly easy to treat (if caught quickly and depending on dose), but digitalis toxicity can really screw your heart up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE