UK custom tent makers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Are there any people or small companies in the UK who will make things like mesh bug nests for lavvus and other floorless shelters / tarps?

I know of Bearpaw Wilderness Designs in the US, not sure if there are even any others like them over there.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's 'Bespoke Tents' in Brecon and 'Tents and Awnings' in Southampton - but they are probably more into full canvas tents/structures than accessories. I've never used either company.

I'm sure there are more out there, and plenty of people with the skills, if you can provide a full requirement :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I want a half-nest/liner to fit a four-man pyramid type tent. 1.4m wide x 2.5m long x 1.3m apex that would attach to central tipi pole with a prussic. I could have got an all-net version of this easily enough, but I want one that uses 34 to 37g/m^3 (1 to 1.1oz/sq yd) ripstop for the sloped back walls, so that it acts like a half lined tent to catch condensation. Happy enough with a heavier No5 zipper, but want a door big enough to get a Thermarest cot through, which tends towards having an inverted-T zip.

I have made two such nests and not been happy with the result on either. The most recent, for a small one-man half nest, was this spring and it absorbed a lot of my free time (more like all of it) for weeks, and the result was pretty much un-liveable with some areas too tight and others with inches of slack. I still have not dedicated the hours needed to figure out what went wrong. I am at a point where I would rather pay for someone with the right experience to make one for the larger tent than to spend time and money trying to DIY and risk having something that doesn't work.

One of the big stumbling blocks, even on the smaller shelter, was that I do not have the space indoors to lay out any of the panels for marking or cutting. I could if I took all the furniture from the living room and stacked it in another room, but I don't think I have space for that!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I want a half-nest/liner to fit a four-man pyramid type tent. 1.4m wide x 2.5m long x 1.3m apex that would attach to central tipi pole with a prussic. I could have got an all-net version of this easily enough, but I want one that uses 34 to 37g/m^3 (1 to 1.1oz/sq yd) ripstop for the sloped back walls, so that it acts like a half lined tent to catch condensation. Happy enough with a heavier No5 zipper, but want a door big enough to get a Thermarest cot through, which tends towards having an inverted-T zip.

I have made two such nests and not been happy with the result on either. The most recent, for a small one-man half nest, was this spring and it absorbed a lot of my free time (more like all of it) for weeks, and the result was pretty much un-liveable with some areas too tight and others with inches of slack. I still have not dedicated the hours needed to figure out what went wrong. I am at a point where I would rather pay for someone with the right experience to make one for the larger tent than to spend time and money trying to DIY and risk having something that doesn't work.

One of the big stumbling blocks, even on the smaller shelter, was that I do not have the space indoors to lay out any of the panels for marking or cutting. I could if I took all the furniture from the living room and stacked it in another room, but I don't think I have space for that!

I suppose the problem will be that, unless they had made one before, they would have to spend the design time to get it right and even plan re-work time to fix any problems - that's not going to be cheap :(

I suspect neither of the companies I mentioned would take on such a job for a sensible price.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A whole load of inners and the like on AliExpress. Search ‘pyramid inner tent’. Not UK but the quality can be good.
Thanks for the suggestion. I make a great effort not to buy via Amazon (used to) and an even greater on not to shop via AliExpress (Never have, no intention to start). I want to support UK, US or European makers.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I quite understand. It’s become increasingly difficult to find custom UK based cottage makers of bespoke gear. I also do not use Amazon but occasionally do use Aliexpress as a very, very, last resort and try to buy from buyers I have used before.

slimshady

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2014
Oxfordshire
HI.
you mentioned . . .
" I could have got an all-net version of this easily enough, but I want one that uses 34 to 37g/m^3 (1 to 1.1oz/sq yd) ripstop for the sloped back walls". . .
Could you not use this as the foundation and add the ripstop on top of the back panel or un-sew the mesh and re-sew with ripstop.

Alex.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
You could try ookworks he used to make inners for mld trailstars and the like. I've never used him to be fair, but might be worth asking around

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You could try ookworks he used to make inners for mld trailstars and the like. I've never used him to be fair, but might be worth asking around
Sadly, that ship has sailed and it has been a few years since one could get custom Ookworks tent stuff.
It was something just like this, but current, that I was looking for.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What was actually wrong with your own design ?
Thing is you see, you're an engineer used to fine tolerances.....but fabric stretches, it sags, it folds. If you don't want that you need to add structure to it, and unless you use the seams to create that structure, the bones if you will, then you're into the realms of channels and blow up balloons or rods. Tents are by their very nature a bit 'fluid'.

I think, if you can get a mesh inner that would suit well, then buy that and attach on the ripstop parts. @slimshady 's idea is probably the most realistic solution.

This used to be the kind of thing that we'd ask @bilmo-p5 or Eric methven to do, but they're both no longer able apparently.

You might ask Gilly ? very capable lady, very clever, thinks things like this out, and she might well think it a fun project ?

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE