UK bushcrafters with firearms...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Dads Pedersoli Sharps .45-70 was one I would have kept in a heart beat, incredible to shoot, fantastically accurate, generally great fun. That and a Sako .22 bolt action... oh hah, and one that he/we named "the dishwasher gun"... it was a .44 Ruger old army, but a modern stainless steel weapon, so after a days shooting, dad would give it a quick wipe down, strip it, then shove it in the dishwasher :rofl:
I know a few people who dishwasher their black powder revolvers, I just use a kettle of two of boiling water. Trying to resist the urge to put in for a 45/70 but it would be tempting to run it on black powder as well. That would get the range nice and smokey.

I think I'll wait and see what the current HSE lead investigation/ban comes up with first.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Cannot be bothered to go any further with the previous comment...

Back on topic of guns n stuff!!

@slowworm the Pedersoli was immense, it was so accurate. Many times plugging a mangel in my sights down the end of the range... had to be accurate - Dad reloaded the rounds himself and would look skyward if I missed... obviously gave me an opportunity to blame him for a dodgy reload!

• Haha
Reactions: Broch
MOD hat on.

Thinking on this thread. It was moved into Fair Game and that ended up in a discussion that while relevant, took it totally away from the topic the OP started.

@Plainsman

If you would prefer, now that everyone knows why the thread was moved, I could split it and bring it back on topic ?

On t'other hand, we could just stick to answering your original query ?

M
Im good with either option. Feel free to do whichever you deem most appropriate for the forum. Thank you!

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp
The rules around what can be shot and when is very complex and can be different in each part of the UK. I've had a rummage about and this link might be helpful, scroll down to the bottom and there are some helpful tables.

I'd also add that just because I can hunt something it doesn't mean I would. Hares for example, very tasty but even though they occasionally do damage in the garden I don't think there are enough about to consider hunting them for the pot.

On the other hand, if anyone has got a good recipe for rat...
Excellent link! Thank you for sharing it as it answered a lot of my questions!

Doesn't Chicago have some of the strictest Gun laws in the states?
Yes! They just banned LASERS on guns!

Most of the homicides are gang related. A gang member gets shot, his buddies retaliate, then that gang retaliates and the cycle keeps going. Gangs and drugs are the cause of a vast majority of the violence.

I have had a CCW permit since 1995. (Concealed carry weapon) Ive been carrying a handgun concealed in my daily activities since then and open carry at least 7 years prior. Ive never had to use it in self defense, but have had the seurity of knowing its there and I can use it if necessary.

There has been talk here about allowing staff to carry in schools. I would only do so if they didnt make any requirements upon the carrier. Otherwise, we have the problem like in Florida where the SRO didnt engage and they are trying to hold him responsible. I feel if one chooses to carey, then they should be able to decide whether or not to engage.

Civil lawsuits bring a lot of issues when it comes to this stuff here, unfortunately.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes! They just banned LASERS on guns!

Most of the homicides are gang related. A gang member gets shot, his buddies retaliate, then that gang retaliates and the cycle keeps going. Gangs and drugs are the cause of a vast majority of the violence.

I have had a CCW permit since 1995. (Concealed carry weapon) Ive been carrying a handgun concealed in my daily activities since then and open carry at least 7 years prior. Ive never had to use it in self defense, but have had the seurity of knowing its there and I can use it if necessary.

There has been talk here about allowing staff to carry in schools. I would only do so if they didnt make any requirements upon the carrier. Otherwise, we have the problem like in Florida where the SRO didnt engage and they are trying to hold him responsible. I feel if one chooses to carey, then they should be able to decide whether or not to engage.

Civil lawsuits bring a lot of issues when it comes to this stuff here, unfortunately.

Although I am a Firearm holder in the UK and I do have an interest in what goes on in the U.S and the general state of affairs.

What my main point was that quite simply that although strict gun laws do exist , they don't stop those from not abiding by them committing crimes.

I do understand the issue but I do respect that this is a British Bushcraft forum - I'm happy to discuss firearms for hunting legally in the UK but I feel & fear much of the interaction with yourself is going to hold a ' using guns for self defence ' type angle and then worsen into political comments - as already above - Gangs , concealed carry , Armed Teachers etc etc - as such I don't feel I will be commenting any more.

There are other places more suitable for discussion and exchange on guns for self defence - here I don't feel is appropriate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE