Tyvek - why isn't it used in outdoor clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
As per the title Tyvek - why isn't it used in outdoor clothing?

Seems ideal. Tear-resistant. Transmits water vapour but not water. Windproof.

anyone tried making smocks etc from tyvek?

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
The uses of Tyvek are:

Large sheets of Tyvek are frequently used as "housewrap," to provide a water barrier between the outer cladding of a structure and the frame, insulation, etc., allowing water vapor to pass yet restricting air infiltration.

Tyvek is used by the United States Postal Service for some of its Priority Mail and Express Mail envelopes.
New Zealand used it for its driver's licenses from 1986 to 1999
Costa Rica, the Isle of Manand Haiti have made banknotes from it. These banknotes are no longer in circulation and have become collectors' items.

Tyvek coveralls are one-piece garments, usually white, commonly worn by mechanics, painters, installation installers, and laboratory and cleanroom workers where a disposable, one-time use coverall is needed. They are also used for some light HAZMAT applications, such as asbestos and radiation work but do not provide the protection of a full hazmat suit. Tychem is a sub-brand of Tyvek rated for a higher level of liquid protection, especially from chemicals. DuPont makes Tyvek clothing in different styles from laboratory coats and aprons to complete head-to-toe coveralls with hoods and booties.

Clothing has been made in the past from Tyvek

In 1976, fashion house Fiorucci made an entire collection out of Tyvek. More recently fashion retailer and manufacturer American Apparel has included white Tyvek shorts as part of its range. Rock band Devo is known for wearing large, two-piece Tyvek suits with black elastic belts and 3-D glasses. In 1979, Devo appeared with Tyvek leisure suits and shirts made specifically for the band, with the band's own designs and images. In 2005, Dynomighty Design introduced a Tyvek wallet made from a single sheet of Tyvek. The ultralight backpacking community has begun to use Tyvek for the construction of extremely light yet durable backpacks. In 2012, The Open Company released a foldable city map made of one of the stiffer variants of Tyvek.

Increasingly, reused Tyvek material is being used by home crafters. Protective sleeves for Compact Discs and DVDs, tote bags, and origami wallets also use Tyvek-containing materials.

Chicago newscaster and artist Phil Ponce prefers to use Tyvek to create paper cut artwork due to its durability and permanence.

Tyvek is also used as a durable fabric in shoes.

Tyvek is used in archery to construct waterproof target faces, replacing paper.

It is also extensively used for packaging in laboratory and medical equipment as the material withstands conditions used to sterilize equipment.

Tyvek wristbands are used at festivals and events where admission and security are concerns.

Tyvek has also been used in a recent project on the crowd-source funding website, Kickstarter. The successful project produced a lamp, 'Lumio', which used Tyvek for the core body of the lamp, listing Tyvek's waterproofness, lightness and 100% recyclability as the reasons for it's choice of its competitors.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I know that it a fabric but I don't think that it is flexible enough for the outdoor clothing market, the coveralls that are made of the stuff make alot of noise when you move about in them and they are not the most comfortable of materials against your skin.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I know that it a fabric but I don't think that it is flexible enough for the outdoor clothing market, the coveralls that are made of the stuff make alot of noise when you move about in them and they are not the most comfortable of materials against your skin.

That could be why. I've never tried those overalls.

The envelopes made from it seem a lot thinner than the roofing stuff; more flexible as well.

According to this indestructible, if you crumple and wash the tyvek, it gets softer and more flexible.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tyvek-Bivy-Sack-for-CampingHiking/

A bit of googling led to this site:

http://gossamergear.com/wp/tips/tip-of-the-week-make-a-hooded-tyvek-rain-jacket-and-chaps-for-under-10

In the commentators there are a few people who have tried tyvek garments in the outdoors. Verdict is; showerproof only, not waterproof. However one person found that wearing them over other garments led to the undergarments drying out. So could be a good fabric for a sleeping back liner.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Tyvek or similar has also been used for years as a downproof membrane in down jackets and such. I have a cotton shelled down jacket with a tyvek liner that went through the washing machine cycle and the down was still dry :lmao:

Whilst Tyvek is good, its no match for a water repellent Nylon or Polyester. It's much weaker and less breathable IME.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used to wear the Tyvek coveralls often when I was still painting aircraft. I went back to cotton ones as the Tyvek just wasn't durable enough. I ripped up several pairs every day. It's not as indestructible as advertised.

rb1985

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2010
newcastle
i used to wear tyvek overalls every day at work and its not very durable. think of it more as harder wearing paper. i think the thinkness needed too make durable/lasting clothing would be like cardboard, as even the thin overalls were stiff and not comfortable. on the plus side they were surprisingly warm. i was comfortable wearing only a single pair of overalls at -17c, inside unheated buildings doing boiler pulls in deepest darkest wales a few years back.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tyvek overalls, otherwise known round here as"Safe Sex Suits" aren't the most durable thing and they tear easily.
When I wear them I'm lucky if I can get two days out of one.
The stuff we use in as a waterproof but breathable membrane on a roof is a lot more hardwearing but its pretty noisy and even its not that durable. Leave it on a roof with no covering and eventually any area that flaps in the wind tears. Plus its lacking in the comfort department.

I assume that the actual membrane within it is just the same as Gore Tex but its just the rest of the fabric that's different so we do in effect wear something like it anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE