Types of tinder in NE USA.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 19, 2009
US
Hello all im new here, was curious as to what types of tinder can be found in michigan woods. Types that can be ignited by spark/coals.. Thanks!

usarmyfl

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
Birch bark birch bark birch bark hehehe. Burns dry and soaking wet. Once scrapped with a knife for fine tinder it will take a spark with ease! We also have a lot of standing grasses that can be used as well. find the dead stuff. A small bundle of dried leaves crushed in the hands will also work well. Take your knife to just about any tree with rough barks and scrape and gather the dust you make from it, throw a spark! We have many good tinders.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm from Michigan and I harvest tinder fungus all the time. Mostly grows on birch trees. It will take the weakest spark. Perfect for flint and steel as well as the firepiston.

skifa_tinderfungus1d.jpg

tinderfungus1.jpg

tinder_fungus1b.jpg

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I love tinder fungus (innonotus obliquus), when I can find it. But most of the time I use the dried inner bark off of cedar trees as my "tinder" and catch my spark in a small chunk of tinder fungus (or even charclothe).

But a little clarification would be helpful. Are you intending to use a traditional flint/steel or those modern ferro-cerrium rod "fire steels" - or "flint" as that survivor tv show calls it?

Those modern ferro-cerrium rods can produce lots of hot sparks by just scraping them. Those sparks are enough to get many "tinder materials" burning by themselves. A traditional steel flint striker requires more ... preparation.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Feb 19, 2009
US
Thanks for the replies! Hey Hoodoo, how do you like that becker knife? I have a bk9 but haven't used it yet.

usarmyfl

Feb 19, 2009
US
I love tinder fungus (innonotus obliquus), when I can find it. But most of the time I use the dried inner bark off of cedar trees as my "tinder" and catch my spark in a small chunk of tinder fungus (or even charclothe).

But a little clarification would be helpful. Are you intending to use a traditional flint/steel or those modern ferro-cerrium rod "fire steels" - or "flint" as that survivor tv show calls it?

Those modern ferro-cerrium rods can produce lots of hot sparks by just scraping them. Those sparks are enough to get many "tinder materials" burning by themselves. A traditional steel flint striker requires more ... preparation.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

The modern types for now :)

usarmyfl

Jhenry

Feb 2, 2009
Ozarks
No tinder fungus proper here in the Ozarks. I have charred shelf fungus which will take and hold a spark OK. As for unprepared materials around here, cattail fluff, thistle down, and similar stuff when in season. In the deeper woods you won't find it. I then scrape or shred cedar bark from down low on the trunk due to it being dry even in the rain usually. Grape vine, same o.

I don't do historical trekking anymore, but still hunt with a flintlock about half the time. The lock is a ready made flint and steel. I plug the touch hole and put some ffff powder in some shredded bark, stick it in the pan and snap the lock. Presto.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
If you can't find anything suitable, and don't have the time to spend looking just buy a roll of Jute twine. Cut off several 6 inch (approx 15 cm.) pieces and untwist each piece. It will break down into about 3 strands. Then untwist each of these smaller strands. You will end up with a small pile of what looks a lot like reddish-blond hair. when you apply flame it will practically explode. I have never tried it with my flint/steel or my ferro-cerium rod. (shame on me!) lol.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the replies! Hey Hoodoo, how do you like that becker knife? I have a bk9 but haven't used it yet.

usarmyfl

As big knives go, it's been a good one. Mine has micarta scales on it now. Don't carry it much except when I know I will need it, like for building hunting blinds, clearing shooting lanes, or harvesting tinder fungus. An Ontario 12" machete works for me as well. For general bombing around in the woods, I prefer something not quite so heavy.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
belly button lint (remove from belly button first, ouch!)

Even in winter I can find dry grass on steep outcroppings; birchbark is easy, just look for the thinnest, most silk-like piece you can find and wrap it around the striker/ blade of the firesteel....I usually carry my firesteel wrapped in a paper towel, and use the same wrap-a-layer around the striker method and can get 2-3 fires out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE