two way radios updated to cb radios

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
thank you as always

The Baofeng UV-5R is really popular
i also see the newer Baofeng models namely the uv-10 that has a bit of controversy for being advertised not correctly, many on youtube exposing them

there are also the uv-8 uv-9 as well

it gets very confusing

i was also told that alongside the cb i could use non-licence frequencies including gmrs on the Baofeng and it could be tuned using "chirp" software

i need to look deeper into it
I highly recommend Essex Ham’s free online course
funny you mention them as i watched a video of theirs last night on youtube although i did not notice they have a free online course and going by the quality of just the one video i saw it will be well worth swatting up with these guys and gals

is it ok for me to send you a pm please...??

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
thank you as always

i also see the newer Baofeng models namely the uv-10 that has a bit of controversy for being advertised not correctly, many on youtube exposing them

there are also the uv-8 uv-9 as well

it gets very confusing
Oh, yes there are loads of models, but the UV-5R is the most common one, I think anyway.
i was also told that alongside the cb i could use non-licence frequencies including gmrs on the Baofeng and it could be tuned using "chirp" software
Yes to the chirp software.
Be careful about what you use it for. Because it’s made in China for all international markets it’s not locked to stop you transmitting on frequencies you are not allowed on. For instance, you can listen to the PMR446 frequencies, but although the radio is capable of transmitting on those as well, you would not be allowed to as it does not have a fixed antenna and you can’t limit your output to 0.5W (1W is the lowest setting). I mean, unless you told people what radio you were using, noone would know, but still not legal.

i need to look deeper into it

funny you mention them as i watched a video of theirs last night on youtube although i did not notice they have a free online course and going by the quality of just the one video i saw it will be well worth swatting up with these guys and gals
Here you go: https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/
Seems like they are running one course a month.

is it ok for me to send you a pm please...??
Sure.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Oh, yes there are loads of models, but the UV-5R is the most common one, I think anyway.

Yes to the chirp software.
Be careful about what you use it for. Because it’s made in China for all international markets it’s not locked to stop you transmitting on frequencies you are not allowed on. For instance, you can listen to the PMR446 frequencies, but although the radio is capable of transmitting on those as well, you would not be allowed to as it does not have a fixed antenna and you can’t limit your output to 0.5W (1W is the lowest setting). I mean, unless you told people what radio you were using, noone would know, but still not legal.

Here you go: https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/
Seems like they are running one course a month.

Sure.
thank you

chirp seems straight forward however the hardest part is knowing all the correct non-license frequencies to replace any licensed frequencies until i pass the 2m band and get a license as i want to keep it all respectful and not even accidentally cross over frequencies that are not for my use

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
thank you

chirp seems straight forward however the hardest part is knowing all the correct non-license frequencies to replace any licensed frequencies until i pass the 2m band and get a license as i want to keep it all respectful and not even accidentally cross over frequencies that are not for my use
I still have a print out of the band plans with my HF radio and a list of the old "S" channels with my 2 m radio. I'm always worrying that I will reply to someone abroad calling CQ on a frequency that's off-limits in the UK. :)

ETA:

I bought my Baofeng UV-5R from https://www.prepcomms.uk/product/emergency-radio/. Paul sets them all up for you with the correct bandwidths etc and he programms in all the 2 m and 70 cm amateur radio channels, plus Marine VHF channels and PMR446 and so on. If you tell him your post code, or tell him where you spend a lot of time, he'll also set it up to work with the local repeaters in your area. That peace of mind that you had the radio set up right, plus the extras he included, was well worth paying an extra £10-15 or whatever it was! Being close to the coast it's fun listening to the marine VHF chatter, even if I can't reply (since I don't have a marine VHF licence).

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Given that with VOIP on its way to replace all analogue phone lines in the future, we will soon be in a situation where during a power cut there is no way to call out the emergency services. Perhaps CB will come into its own again as a standby then.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I still have a print out of the band plans with my HF radio and a list of the old "S" channels with my 2 m radio. I'm always worrying that I will reply to someone abroad calling CQ on a frequency that's off-limits in the UK. :)

ETA:

I bought my Baofeng UV-5R from https://www.prepcomms.uk/product/emergency-radio/. Paul sets them all up for you with the correct bandwidths etc and he programms in all the 2 m and 70 cm amateur radio channels, plus Marine VHF channels and PMR446 and so on. If you tell him your post code, or tell him where you spend a lot of time, he'll also set it up to work with the local repeaters in your area. That peace of mind that you had the radio set up right, plus the extras he included, was well worth paying an extra £10-15 or whatever it was! Being close to the coast it's fun listening to the marine VHF chatter, even if I can't reply (since I don't have a marine VHF licence).
thank you

i have had a quick look and his price is reasonable for a complete custom tune

i have found and downloaded frequency lists which are very handy to have for cb-radio gmrs and pmr466

it is worth noting for the doubting thomas's and naysayers that poo-poo cb-radio that even experts agree that cb-radio is a viable alternative to gmrs

At this time there are a few alternatives to GMRS radio and the most popular and time proven is the good ol' C.B. Radio.

However, there's nothing quite like a CB, and it does reach out further when using a mobile 2-way radio (vs. a handie-talkie). http://www.gmrsfrequencies.com/cb-radio.html

Given that with VOIP on its way to replace all analogue phone lines in the future, we will soon be in a situation where during a power cut there is no way to call out the emergency services. Perhaps CB will come into its own again as a standby then.
this seems very likely as since 2020 many have come back to and-or have started on cb-radio

is it around 2025 or 2035 the voip is proposed to change...??

found it, it is 2025 to a flawed system and just three [3] years time, not long to go and folk need to get prepared ready

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It’s just bonkers! We don’t have as many powercuts as we used to, but with the last set of storms they were fixing one torn down power cable after another, trying to restore power and it took days. It was nice to know that the phone would work if we needed it (we’ve got one old school phone plugged in case of long power cuts).

I also wonder what their plans are for places with rubbish or non-existing internet. Are they going to sort that out before 2025? I doubt it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We are now on VOIP but the problem is, so is our mobile network. We have no direct mobile connection so, at home, our mobile coverage is via the fibre router. If power goes down we lose all comms.

However, I do have reversionary modes :)

Reactions: SaraR

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
They halted the rollout of Internet bases home phones after the last set of storms as they realised that phones, both landline and mobile didn't work in emergencies.
I too have a plug into the wall phone which worked fine when nobody else could communicate at all. It makes sense to have one at least stashed away somewhere, ready for use.
No use being able to recharge a phone if the towers are blown down.
I have not upgraded to a lot of modern tech, because I realise that older stuff works no matter what.
For instance, a spong mincer can still make humous when there is no electric as its hand operated.
I do like some modern tech, such as a solar puff light, and I've just ordered a small jackery unit and solar pannel, so that I can still use my nebuliser if needed, and listen to the radio without having to have a ton of batteries, as with no electric it won't be possible to recharge rechargeable batteries in a prolonged power cut, which I'm sure will happen through rationing if nothing else.
So, if the mobile phones and cordless phones go down, I'm still able to call the relevant emergency authorities. No expensive kit, or exams needed
keep it simple!
I remember long power cuts in the seventies, being cut off for weeks with snow in the sixties, and life went on without grinding to a halt like it does nowadays.
We are far far too dependant on the Internet in my opinion.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
remember the tent pole idea for erecting the t2lt in the field and or at home

well i have a bonus to share

i found a mesh bag for my childs rarely used rounder set is perfect for carrying and storing the tent-poles guys and guy attachments and it has two [2] handles one [1] on the side and carry like a brief case the other at the top just above the zip which suits a carabiner clip

i put some heat shrink tube over the metal tent-pole connectors to prevent the coax touching metal

now got to order some 2.5mm - 3mm tent-pole elastic but need quite a bit since i have been tasked with fixing a few tents as per my latest post on the subject

Last edited:

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
update

after much advice and much research looking into alternative and also more expensive options which i would have to save longer for, yet do not seen to have as many accessories [toys] as what i think fits best all round as a starter kit

in preparation for the 2m band course and license i have decided to go with, [please advise if this would be wrong choice]

1 x baofeng uv-5r tri-band pack comes with 2 x antennas and 1 x earpiece
1 x baofeng program cable
1 x baofeng extendable battery 3800 mah
1 x baofeng 28.5" tactical antenna [advised locally for use when higher up in the hills]
1 x portable case for baofeng and accessories
1 x baofeng aa extendable battery case
1 x slim jim antenna

can get them as required as they are readily available

and thank you to all that suggested the baofeng

main selling points for me is the fm radio and torch to replace the radio-torch combo

i also just discovered there is a baofeng fan club thread which i will read up on have now read

Last edited:

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
It’s not a 2M band course ;) It cover you for many bands. You could even eventually buy something like a FT-817 and operate hf which will pretty much guarantee you a contact.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
It’s not a 2M band course ;) It cover you for many bands. You could even eventually buy something like a FT-817 and operate hf which will pretty much guarantee you a contact.
i knew it covers many bands yet is predominantly know in many areas as 2m band or radio-ham license at is not always stipulated the complete or partial other bands the course covers prior for taking the course

thank you i will look into the ft-817 when the time comes :smile:

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
A lot of tangents in this thread so far....
Going back to the OP.

Any comms system is only as good as whoever is waiting/listening on the other end.

Breaking it into two senarios, calling for help in normal times and during **** times.

In normal times, your best bets are the mobile phone network, satellite phones (including SPOT etc) and EPIRB locators.
There are no two way radio bands that I would trust to have someone listening at all times. Unless I have arranged that personally.

In **** situations, then you are on your own. Networks may be down, and even if they are not, there may well not be any help thay can give.
And again two way radio will probably only work if you have arranged for others to be listening.

If you do decide to arrange for a station to be listening for you, then CB may be a good route. Handheld radios with their built in antenna are pretty useless. But a simple external wire antenna can be made up, and hoisted into a tree etc. CB will give a surprisingly good range.
As a lad we used to go out camping and use a 'wire half wave dipole' hung in a tree, with a mobile CB set (that you would normally fit in a car) running off lantern batteries that we borrowed from the roadmen's lamps. There were plenty of people on air to chat to in those days, and we could talk to people all over the district. All great fun as a youngster.
That sort of set up would work for say, a couple of teams out hiking separatly, but outside mobile phone coverage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE