Two huge ceps and a blusher

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Out all day yesterday in the woods enjoying my birthday and fossicking about (as you do). Came across two huge ceps and later on, a pristine fresh blusher.

Rounded the day off by the sea, harvesting salsify, seakale leaves and sea beet.

A brilliant day! :D

Will post some pics later.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
sounds wonderful! Itll be my birthday to next week. I hope they surprise me with something

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
True! Though probably only slightly for these parts. The only other thing I could think of was panthercap but the scales were much finer and very concentric. Have a look at the pic (when I get around to posting it) and see what you think.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Happy belated birthday to you Carol....
We had our first duckling roast today which went well after a lot of prep....
Hope you had a good day...

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Thanks Jonny. :D

Roast duckling sounds delicious. I've not really had much experience with game meats, something which I really hope to rectify as the year moves on. With acres of marshland on my doorstep I really ought to get out there and learn to shoot properly, that way maybe I can bag a few waterfowl of my own to roast!

Got the Ceps in the dehydrator as we speak - the aroma is lovely!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I also was out wandering yesterday, and I came across three chanterelles. Never bothered looking for them this early, but it was a nice surprise.

They were a bit eaten so I left them, but now I know another place for them, which is great.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Finally himself got around to downloading the photographs for me :rolleyes:

Obviously you can spot the Ceps and the Blusher, but I'll interested to see what you guys make of the other stuff
1:
hedgewoundwort1A.jpg

2:
angelicashoot1A.jpg

3:
Angelica1A.jpg

4:
angelicaclose2A.jpg

5:
blusher1A.jpg

6:
blusher2A.jpg

7:
yellowfungus1A.jpg

8:
ceps1A.jpg

9:
unknownyellowflower1A.jpg

Any guesses? :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

If look at this photo you can see another differance apart from the colour change between blusher and the panther cap. In panter caps the bag the fungi hatches [volva] from remains open and obvious in blushers the volva is fused to the bottom of the stem. The spots on the cap are also not white in blusher where they are in pather cap.

You are braver than me COTW if you pick wild angelika:
:eek: carrot family
:yikes: it has red stems

i know to look for the fat apex attachments as in no2 but I just wouldn't.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Don't worry Xylaria, the only thing I took home with me were photographs the Ceps. I didn't pick any of the Angelica, but I was mighty curious about the deep purple stems. I would have expected Angelica sylvestris, but this looks like an Angelica atropurpurea, which is pretty unusual I think.

Do you like my Dog Vomit Mould? (Fuligo septica) Revolting isn't it? Also known as 'scrambled eggs'. Hmmmm hmmm. Yummy :yuck: I love the idea that this one mooches about the woodland floor like a fungal amoeba. Or maybe that's a bit disturbing - I'm not too sure!

Staghound: Bang on, both times. :D Cow Wheat (Melampyrum pratense) is really interesting not only because I've just been told that a hemi-parasite, but I've also found out that it's a food plant for the Heath Fritillary which is very cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE