Tudor Monastery Farm: Coming to BBC2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I kind of linked "survival skills" to farming and living skills so apologies if this is in the wrong place:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/tudor-monastery-farm.html

"Historian Ruth Goodman and archaeologists Peter Ginn and Tom Pinfold turn the clock back over 500 years to run a farm at the Weald & Downland Open Air Museum in West Sussex exactly as it would have been in 1500, during the reign of the first Tudor King, Henry VII."

"Ruth, Peter and Tom will be doing the work of tenants on a farm owned by the monastery, using only the tools and materials of the age. At a time when faith provided an explanation for everything, from the state of the weather to the growth of crops, the team takes on new challenges to raise livestock, cultivate period crops and master new crafts under the watchful eye of their monastic landlords."

One for Red I think :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Starts next Wednesday, the 3 of them were on bbc breakfast this morning. One clip shows the old girl using flint and steel.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I wish they would do the same sort of book as they have done for the Victorian/Edwardian/WW2 Farm for the Stuart period series, Tales from the Green Valley. The book for that, Building the Green Valley, is a good read if your into this sort of thing but is far less how to than the glossy jobs for the others and The Victorian Pharmacy.

if you are interested in this stuff Stuart Press do some great little books

http://www.stuart-hmaltd.com/stuart_press.php

when the middle son was into the English Civil War we got the costume related books to make his kit from them.

Other series I'd love to see them do would be the Georgian/Colonial Farm which would cover the interaction with native people's in North America/Australia/NZ etc. well as British Farming techniques, and the Roman Farm. Unfortunately I can't see them being able to find enough experts or acedemics willing to live as slaves!

My hat really comes off to them for not sliding into reality TV / game show / let's stick modern people with no knowledge of the period into situations and watch them fall apart and bitch about the other contestants territory.

i'll get my birrus...

Tom

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
My hat really comes off to them for not sliding into reality TV / game show / let's stick modern people with no knowledge of the period into situations and watch them fall apart and bitch about the other contestants territory.

i'll get my birrus...

Tom

That is exactly why they are good programmes; they are capable people.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Rumour has it there might be a bit of bowl turning in the first episode. Few pics here
IMG_6143-200x300.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There are going to be fights in my house ... it clashes with my wife's favourite - "24 hours in A&E"!
However.. I own more big sticks, axes and assorted other sharps than she does, plus, being a bloke, I have the "remote"!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup at Winchester, something on travel and communications in early medieval Wessex.

If it clashes with owt herself watches I will roll over waggle my feet in the air and watch it on iPlayer (mainly as she has to get up at a ungodly hour for work and I am a creature of the night.... Mind you she likes this sort of stuff as well so i cant see it being a problem this time, she nearly bought me the book in ASDA)

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE