Trying to start bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Shampoo from nettles? Well there you go, that's something I've just learnt. And will now have to try... Should you add anything to the nettles?

(Not trying to hijack, just curious!)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Not sure if there's an age issue, but it might also be an idea to plan to go to the BCUK Bushmoot later in the year, you'l learn a lot from that too and it's considerably less expensive than a course - and your friend might be more receptive to that.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Re. Tree identification. After a lot of thought I bought this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Br...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200830667&sr=1-1
from the local Waterstones. It uses photos rather than drawings, therefore you get to see things that an artist might leave out. It has a pretty good section at the front to narrow down the identification of an unknown leaf, along with photos of twigs in winter and shots of bark. All the common trees have full pictures, shots of bark, flowers, fruit, catkins, and some even have reference to insects and fungi found nearby. Best of all, it is aimed mostly at the common species, rather than some which try to list every kind of tree in Britain, even if there are only one or two in some botanical garden.

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
great tree book u must own is called,TREES IN BRITAIN by [ROGER PHILIPS]
published by pan books, 500 trees identified by colour photos of leafs, flower, and bark.
lets face it, a trees a tree but look at the leafs,or pine needles or flowers etc a u can tell what type of tree it is, got my copy off ebay as i think its out of print now, its a big book, but best i know, and its idiot proof, [for all us none tree knowers] as all in colour photos for easy identification, ROGER PHILIPS also does a book on MUSHROOMS OF GREAT BRITAIN[PUCKER] and WILD PLANTS OF GREAT BRITAIN, i identified my first pig nut plant threw his book.....
with these books yourl soon know your ash from your ransoms
and lofty wisemans sas survival handbook is by far in my small mind the best survival manual ever printed, a small version is always carried in the small pocket of my ruck

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You can just imagine how it would be erotic though can't you! First date with a real beauty, it starts to get a bit passionate and just to get her in the mood you whip her across the face with a bunch of red stinging nettles, the really nasty ones!

Oh, you'll have her screaming the house down!

:D

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
I'm not sure I approve of the sexual direction this conversation is taking.. I personally will be using it most for no. 52 :p
Well there you go - aren't nettles amazing?!
Thank you all for your replies - I think I'm gunna head over to the library tomorrow and see what I can find.. and get a library card too :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm not sure I approve of the sexual direction this conversation is taking.. I personally will be using it most for no. 52 :p
Well there you go - aren't nettles amazing?!
Thank you all for your replies - I think I'm gunna head over to the library tomorrow and see what I can find.. and get a library card too :rolleyes:

Yeeeew!

:yuck:

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset

Hee hee hee..
Ok I have another question (what can I say, they keep popping into my head..):
For those who don't live in Scotland - where do you wild camp? Our farm has no woodland and it's also got a public footpath running right through it! Is there anywhere else to go? I live right beside the Quantock hills which do have woody areas, but do I have to gain permission first? Who from?!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The simple answer is that most folk do not do a lot of wild camping. :(

You need to get permission from the landowner. Determining who the landowner is can sometimes been quite an exercise. If you live on a farm you should have both a better perspective on why it is necessary to get permission, and maybe a better chance of getting it, compared to someone from a town.

There are quite a few threads on here that discuss how to go about finding places to use. The only problem is that it is usually beginners and they tend to drop the threads all over the place :rolleyes: :lmao:

These should give you a start
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=379807&DoReWrite4

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
You can just imagine how it would be erotic though can't you! First date with a real beauty, it starts to get a bit passionate and just to get her in the mood you whip her across the face with a bunch of red stinging nettles, the really nasty ones!

Oh, you'll have her screaming the house down!

And they say there's no such thing as too much fresh air! :p Well, I guess spring is well and truly here if all the old bucks are starting to get this frisky :D

Lucyc said:
For those who don't live in Scotland - where do you wild camp? Our farm has no woodland and it's also got a public footpath running right through it! Is there anywhere else to go? I live right beside the Quantock hills which do have woody areas, but do I have to gain permission first? Who from?!

In terms of wild camping, if you know the landowner it's worth having a chat with them - with emphasis of no impact (and probably avoid the topic of fires to start with).

Unfortunately, unlike in Scotland, there's no right to camp in England - but equally what someone doesn't know doesn't hurt, so long as you're responsible, and discreet (camp late, leave early, for example..). I'd definitely argue against this though - while it might be appropriate for the occasional night out away from home, for a real learning environment you'll want to visit the location as much as possible - and for that there really is no substitute for getting the permission of the landowner.

Another option which has been suggested to me is to get in touch with your local scout camps, which should be amenable to letting you camp out (probably with altar fires, but otherwise should have lots of opportunity to spend time in the woods..).

Try the link here:

http://www.glswscouts.org.uk/campsites/search

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Lucy,

I consider myself a fairly active bushcrafter, but I seldom wild camp, as I can get to woods, fields etc in just a few minutes. Most of my carving, firelighting and project work actually takes place in my yard, next to the woodpile & chopping block (know as Bushcraft Corner amonst my family), others happen in my shed.
We often use a woodburning stove for heating the house, I light it using bushcraft techniques, same goes for the barbie in the summer. I gather tinder and other bits and bobs when I'm beating on the local shoot or when I'm walking the dog (poo bags are great for collecting stuff - well, new ones are, anyway), basically whenever the opportunity crops up.
As for books you often find the cheaper bookshops have various Collins type field guides on sale for about £3 or so,often less if you buy a few in the series.
In short, I guess what I'm saying is take your bushcraft where you can find it. If you live on a farm you probably have a head start on a good many of the folks on this forum.

Dave

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I was raised right on the edge of town and spent a lot of time on the farms around me. But my real interest in Bushcraft came through getting involved with the scouts. (Difficult to avoid when half of your extended family are beavers, cubs, scouts, or leaders of them) I went right up to venture scouts and would recommend them as a great way to get in touch with like minded people your age and in a safe context as well (that's the dad coming out in me). If your friend is interested, it might be an easier way to convince her to tag along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE