Trouser opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Hi guys and girls im about to invest in some new clothing as the colder wetter months are now coming and my old kit is getting rather tired

Ive been looking at the jack pyke country man trouser and have read john fennas review on them and also looking at the highlander tempest waterproof/breathable over trouser

Does anyone own any of these items of clothing and if so how did you find them pros/cons etc?

Two main problems i seem to have with trousers are that when i bend down my shirt and or t shirt tends to pull out of the trouser waist at the back and sizing
Im a 30 inch waist and a 32 inch leg but both the countryman and the waterproof trousers seem to come in a 30/31 inch leg within the size band to fit my waist

So im wondering how people found them with regards to sizing and shirts pulling out of the back of the waist when bending over

Cheers in advance and ill look forward to hearing peoples opinions

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Two main problems i seem to have with trousers are that when i bend down my shirt and or t shirt tends to pull out of the trouser waist at the back and sizing
Im a 30 inch waist and a 32 inch leg but both the countryman and the waterproof trousers seem to come in a 30/31 inch leg within the size band to fit my waist

So im wondering how people found them with regards to sizing and shirts pulling out of the back of the waist when bending over...

I have the problem with the shirt pulling out as well. It's nothing to do with the trousers. Rather the shirts are too short. I'm only 6'2" but because of my build I need shirts in 2XL-Tall size (or 18 & 1/2 or 19 inch neck X 37 inch sleeve) Tall sizes usually have 8 buttons down the front rather than the normal 7 and are an average of 2 inches longer in the body. I have short legs (only a 31 inch inseam) but the majority of my height is in my torso, thus the Tall size shirts.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
As santaman says,you really need to source longer made shirts,makes a big difference in comfort/useability when working/playing in the woods.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Cheers for the advice on the shirts guys

Im only of a very slight build so the shirts that i get to fit me in length allready are quite baggy on me
if i go any larger the shirt will drown me

I normally wear the country checked type shirts from champion or shirtmaster

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I find that army kit is the best for dodgy sizes, both British and Yank as they allow you to pick length and height. I have long arms so I go for a 190 length (designed for over six foot tall) and I find that most army under-shirts are long specifically so they don't come out when you bend over!

For the cold weather I personally use army Gore-Tex which is labelled as MVP. I get one size up from my normal size which allows me to wear and army set of "Softie" trousers and jacket underneath. If you keep an eye on eBay and are after a bargain, a set of softy trousers and jacket can be brought for under £20 as can a set of Gore-Tex. All of this kit is extremely light and packs down tiny. The softy trousers pack down to about the size of a can of beans, and the jacket goes down to the size of something like a large can of dog food if not smaller.

Note on the softies tho is size. These I think are designed to be worn as over garments. I usually go walking with my cold/wet gear in a PLCE side pocket (the four items fit perfectly in the 12l pocket, I also squeeze an extra pair of trousers and t-shirt in there and a micro fibre towel!) and I wear my softie jacket over a t-shirt and under an over coat. I am a 42 chest and six foot tall and for me the medium jacket is the best fit. With the trousers tho, my 37 inch ish waist and 32 inch inseem, the large is the best fit.

Further note on both the softie and Gore-Tex trousers: both have zippers up the leg if you get the modern Gore-Tex trousers. In the picture, look for a straight leg and not one that obviously is creased due to having a bungee in it. This allows you to get your trousers on over your boots without taking them off! The Softies have really long zips (my set has them all the way up to the top, allowing you to totally separate front from back so you don't have to pull them over your boots) which minimizes any contact with your muddy boots and although the Gore-Tex doesn't open up so much it's not such a problem as it is only going to get a bit of muck on your trousers and it is minimal if you do it carefully. Bare in mind that I wear size elevens so it's no mean feat getting trousers on over them!

I hope this helps you. I wouldn't want to be without my softies and Gore-Tex on any walk which may end up cold and wet, and I think the full set of both Gore-Tex and Softies ways a little over a kilo.

Finally, the British Army Norgie or Norwegian shirts are really warm and really long on the body too, as are the standard thermal underwear shirts which can be worn as just a long sleved t-shirt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE