Tripods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Manfrotto #075 tripod and #136 fluid video head. Great build quality. I originally bought them for celestial telescope use, but used for all sorts (camera, camcorder, sound meter, light meter, etc.)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My favorites are two Gitzo carbons I have had for ages. 1228 is my lightest and it definately needs to have my camera bag suspended below it to stabilize. My hands down favorite though is the 1348 which is good most of the time without additional weight added.

Both with Arca Swiss ballheads.

melakefork2862qk9.jpg

bearmeclaybutte2194gs3.jpg

bearclaybutte6608fh7.jpg

I have put a braided leash on the 1348 to make adding weight easy as pie. More details in my old article in the outdoors magazine archive.

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/spip.php?article283

I am also a big fan of non-tripods for some uses, but almost always find one of my Gitzos the way to go.

Non-tripod support old article...

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/spip.php?article287

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Buying cheap tripods like that was the worst waste of money I made when I started out.

They don't do the job properly, they fall apart after any real work and they cost about half as much as a decent pod.

In the end, if you are serious about photography you will have to buy a decent pod and you will have wasted the money you spent on the carp one.

There's no point buying fancy bits of glass for the front of your camera if the camera is moving about when you take the picture.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Buying cheap tripods like that was the worst waste of money I made when I started out.

They don't do the job properly, they fall apart after any real work and they cost about half as much as a decent pod.

In the end, if you are serious about photography you will have to buy a decent pod and you will have wasted the money you spent on the carp one.

There's no point buying fancy bits of glass for the front of your camera if the camera is moving about when you take the picture.

Spot on!

The golden rule for tripods is:

Cheap, light, stable - pick any two.

John Ruskin must have been thinking of tripods when he wrote the following!

"It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do."

Jim

Kikatito

Jun 15, 2009
S. Lanarkshire
i have a cheap nonbrand specific tripod just now and it just collects dust in the boot of my car, its far too light weight for anything, I have a canon 400D which aint the lightest body and that with a telescopic lens (75-300) and not having a decent trypod is awfull it just becomes top heavy.......one day i will get a Manfrotto, this i have promised myself...

i totally agree with the Cheap, Light, Stable, pick two and go with it!! For me it has to be Light and stable......

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have to say that I am a fan of the compact tripods that you can get from Dixons for less than £20.

I have used mine everywhere that I have been from on the hill in Scotland annoying red deer, to taking pictures of Bushmen is Southern Africa.

Stainless steel, so will be coming to the Jungle with me later this year.

They pack down to aout 8-10" (by about 2" wide) and open up to well over 1m high with the legs spread and fully exptended.

Proof is in the pudding, but I like mine so much that I got one for Mel once she started to get into taking pics.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
:lmao: I saw 'Tripods' and thought "Excellent, they've been putting up pictures of their tripods" with the image in my head of lovely forged tripods with pots hanging off of them over lovely fires :D
Carved feet, innovative designs, light weight........

:umbrella: :sulkoff:

Sam442

Oct 17, 2009
Bristol/Salisbury
Manfrotto is the way to go.
My main tripod is 055XB with 322RC2 ball head.

I have exactly the same setup, weighs a ton but stable and strong, even survived a fall down
n510390704_1021744_3924.jpg

with only a few scratches and dings and is still going strong 2 years later, although I will be replacing it with a lighter model soon.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Carbonfibre Manfrotto - I forget which one as I've had it for several years.

The thing about tripods I think, is that if you buy wisely once, you've got the thing for years, and - unlike lenses, you can use it with any camera system you change to:)

The head I use is the magnesium alloy 460 - not the most advanced of their selection, and relatively cheap compared to a lot of their heads, but its' done an excellent job for me; its compact and strong enough to use my old Canon FD kit and my Mamiya MF - neither is exactly featherweight!

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
I have exactly the same setup, weighs a ton but stable and strong, even survived a fall down
n510390704_1021744_3924.jpg

with only a few scratches and dings and is still going strong 2 years later, although I will be replacing it with a lighter model soon.

When I was on holidays in Poland few weeks ago I was thinking about getting 055CX3 which is exactly same as 055XB but carbon fibre. It is lighter and can take more weight. Very helpful when trekking, but decided against it.
I think I got too attached to the one I have now. It's been through a lot and I only have it couple of years.
Ball head is amazing, so easy to adjust to what you want. I also have 3-way 804RC2, but am only using it for strobist work as its bit more precise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE