Tripod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
So DHL delivered the tripod ( will use for the Rabbit Ears trench telescope).

It is a Surveyors tripod, brass top, telescopic beech legs. Made by Fennel in Germany ( Kassel) .
I think 1930's to early 1950's.

The wood was lacquered originally, but that has flaked off in many areas over the years. Should I sand it down, apply oil or lacquer?
The steel bits I will derust and paint black, crinkle finish, and polish the brass. Will need to manufacture a connector between the telescope attachment and tripod, brass.

I am not used to work with old wood, or restoring wood. Any ideas ?

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Janne: You need to pay up to be a Full Member. Not very much for what all we can participate in.

Then, another button magically appears in the lower right, between Post Reply and More Options...
The new third button says Upload a File. Follow your nose after that.

The tripod. I'd just sand it all back and finish again, something like 4 coats of MinWax Tung Oil Protective Finish,
if you want to see the wood in a water-wet finish. I have 3 of those tripods, pre-3-point mount vintage.
I had to get a machinist to turn an interface so I could mount my big sheet film cameras.

N

Nomad

Beech is almost the de-facto material for artists easels and related equipment, at least in Europe (where beech is pretty common). Just as de-facto is finishing with boiled linseed oil. Dries to a satiny sheen after a day or so, and then gradually goes more matt over a few months. The usual deal of once a day for a week, once a week for a month, etc, can be done, but I tend to just do a few coats at first and leave it at that until it starts to look a bit dried out. The more you put on, the more it becomes like a varnish, less coats will leave it more woody feeling. It's well worth taking all the metal bits off and giving all the wood a light sand to get the surfaces smooth. Also put a small radius on any sharp edges to make handling more comfortable.

It's quite stain resistant and sheds water well. Also easy to repair if it gets dinged - sand the dinged bit if needed and put more oil on.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Good stuff, gents.
I started taking it apart, and the only problem area so far are the (very) rusty pointy bits at the bottom. not sure if I ever can remove them, will try more tonight, if solid, I will just de-rust, and see how they look like.
The wood is cracked in a few places, but that I can repair. One of the "hinges" ( Aluminium?) has a bad crack, but it is OK where that crack is. Not structural.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE