Tree Identification course?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Not a course but along with the FSC guides already shown in this thread I use these ID packs for students.

Woodland Trust ID cards

This was shown to me by Charlie Brookes who is doing the Certificate in Bushcraft Leadership course with me. I really like it as it is really compact and shows twigs with buds as well as leaves.

Usborne Spotter's Guides

Got this one and the flowers one from the Islay Birding and Bushcraft school at the Wilderness Gathering. If you get them from this site though you can get the 3 (including birds) for £7. Lots of facts as well as clear descriptions on the trees, flowers and birds.

Both give the latin names if you are into that as well.

If anyone gets them let me know what you think?

Cheers

George

ganstey

Settler
Thanks for that George, I've ordered both (all) so I'll report back when I've had a chance to look at them.

The Woodland Trust swatch books look like a fantastic idea. I can keep them in my pocket or clipped to my belt/pack when wandering around. Being able to fan it out to compare several similar species is just what I need.

Cheers
G

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Some good advice has been given here IMHO. I'm on a one year college course studying native trees and plants and the one day we spent out in the field was just a warm up. It's going to take me quite a bit of study to get to the level of knowledge I want so I'm in agreement about the a one day course possibly being a waste of money. On the other hand if it wasn't expensive it would be fun and it would get you started. My first day out gave me a hunger to learn more.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a great resource but it doesn't list the commonest English trees now - the list is only for native trees (rather than introduced specie). Some are far from common (e.g. sessile oaks). There are other far ore common trees about (notably numerous spruce and pines, fruit trees etc.) that are not on that list as they are not strictly native. Just thought that for those trying to identify an unknown tree - the fact that it is not on that list doesn't make it rare - merely that it didn't grow here a long time ago.

Not trying to be destructive - just thought it was worth pointing out :(

Red

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
True and there are a lot of pictures missing too. I think it's a work in progress and that they've been concentrating on what are considered to be native species.

Maybe it'll grow to cover introduced species too.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Its a great resource but it doesn't list the commonest English trees now - the list is only for native trees (rather than introduced specie). Some are far from common (e.g. sessile oaks). There are other far ore common trees about (notably numerous spruce and pines, fruit trees etc.) that are not on that list as they are not strictly native. Just thought that for those trying to identify an unknown tree - the fact that it is not on that list doesn't make it rare - merely that it didn't grow here a long time ago.

Not trying to be destructive - just thought it was worth pointing out :(

Red

I think, the Kew people made a simalar point, in the Tree series, especially about Elm. I remember the surprise when we first found a Yew, when doing tree id in the Scouts. It was one of the reasons I posted find a country house, or botanical garden, because you will see everything you want to see in the best conditions.

I would be very interested in more info about id'ing the wood/logs etc. Also the general shape of winter trees.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I think, the Kew people made a simalar point, in the Tree series, especially about Elm. I remember the surprise when we first found a Yew, when doing tree id in the Scouts. It was one of the reasons I posted find a country house, or botanical garden, because you will see everything you want to see in the best conditions.

I would be very interested in more info about id'ing the wood/logs etc. Also the general shape of winter trees.

Working part time for a local tree surgeon would do all of this and u get paid too! U soon learn the shapes when u stare at a tree for most of the day, then handle all the different parts;) .

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Couldn't find it on Amazon (mainly cos none of the search results had cover pictures lol), but it's the last book on this search .. http://www.collins.co.uk/Books.aspx?searchTerm=trees&searchType=Title

I picked it up for something like £2, and last week they had it in Nevisport in Fort William (I know that's no good for you but it gives you a rough idea of prices) for £2.99.

I've also seen it in those ubercheap bookshops like The Works etc.

HTH

Just bought this book myself from good old Amazon marketplace for about 3 of your earth pounds (inc postage!).

Not had a chance to really absorb it yet but it looks good from first look!

Many thanks!

Dr O

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got a pack of cards somewhere, they are about a5 size IIRC. They have all these diffeent trees and the identifying details of the tree. Pretty handy and good fun with the kids. I haven't used mine with the kids properly yet, but now that Jo'anne can read very well and Rachel is also starting to learn to read, they will get used. I picked them up from Canon Hall of all places, which is like an open farm wherre people can come in and feed the animals. They are pretty good.

I like the idea of picking trees in your local wood, discreetly marking them and then revisiting them in winter months to complete your ID process. I have a paint stick in my response pak, it looks like a bit of chalk, but it writes on anything. It is like a semi dry paint and once you break the dry skin off the top, it writes on anything and subsequently dries again. The paint stick was found on one of the steel works I go on, no idea where you can buy them. Chalk would work, but I reckon it could wear off after a while.

ganstey

Settler
I've now accumulated a large collection of tree books, including the Woodland Trust leaf book and the cards purchased from Redhouse. I'll trial them all and then post a comparative review, but it might take a little while as I have quite a few to trail.

Cheers
G

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I had a look at the Collins Gem book yesterday but (and I may have missed this) none of the trees are identified as being hard or soft woods on the individual tree pages.

I would have though that that was a fairly fundamental point to highlight?

Chris

R

rednek

hi ganstey

i worked as a tree surgeon for 2yr's,
and i think that the bested way of learning tree ID is to
go out and see the trees you want to learn.
(eg: get a flask of coffee and a good ID book and go for a walk)

ganstey

Settler
Cheers Rednek & sandbag47. I intend doing just that. I now have a collection of books, and as well as trying to find time to go out for a stroll, I'm also planning another trip to Westonbirt to have a go there at some of the less common species (but not exotics!).

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE