Tree Identification course?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ganstey

Settler
Does anyone know of a good tree ID course, preferably not too far from Wiltshire (for ecological reasons mainly). I know The Green Wood Centre does a day course, but it seems mad to use tons of fossil fuel to go on a one-day tree course.

I've got several books, but they have several problems:
- The concentrate on ID via leaves and buds. I need to be able to identify in winter as well.
- The pictures rarely look like the tree I'm looking at, even when I know what the tree is, so finding unknown trees becomes a lottery.
- I'd have to carry them around with me. As they say "knowledge weighs nothing".

Cheers for any guidance
G

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If u want to id trees in winter, buds learnt while leaves are still on is ya best bet.
Books by Alan Mitchell are the best, The Collins ones, The newer ones with colorfull hand drawn pics.
As far as a course goes local Hort/Land college should be able to help, The natives only take a day or so to learn and they all look diferent to each other.

ganstey

Settler
Cheers Addo, I'm only a few miles from Lackham Agricultural College, so I'll see if they have anything on offer. I've checked my local wildlife trust, but they don't have anything relevant scheduled for this season.

I guess once you have a basic knowledge, the rest of it comes with practice.

G

ganstey

Settler
To what degree of ID are you wanting to learn?

I'd like to be able to identify native British broadleaves, both standing, and ideally from fresh-cut logs. If I could also learn how to distinguish between various conifers that would be a bonus. I'm not concerned about 'exotics' as its really for use down in my wood and walking through the countryside, rather than scientific study.

Cheers
G

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I'm in somerset so not a million miles away - if perhaps enough of us near are interested then we could approach somebody who could teach us. I'd be very interested.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Personally, and this is just my opinion based upon my learning around tree species, that I'd say you would be wasting your time on a day course...and your money too if im honest.

Chances are they are likely to try and fit as much in as possible which means regardless of how well they teach it to you you are going to very quickly forget what they tell you, also you are not going to be in the woods that you visit so may not cover the species in your area.

There are far too many to know them all, and why learn the ones that you never see, so stick with the ones that are there and that you use.

IMO, and this is how I went about it and, again, imo, has worked for me - I think you'd be much better off with a notepad and pencil and maybe a camera. Travel your local woods and collect leaves, twigs, nuts, fruits, seeds etc etc) of a few trees at a time, make some notes about the tree...what soil is it growing on, is it in/near water, what fungi are around, what animals, photograph the whole tree, the bark, the leaves etc... and then take your samples and notes home with you and ID them at your lesuire.

Dedicate one page of the notepad to one tree. When you confident of the species stick its name in big letters at the top of the page.

I know it works, because even my 5yr old nephew is learning to ID trees in this way.

Plus if you are stuck, ask on here using your photos and notes.

EDIT...
LMAO...just read that through and my spelling, punctuation and grammer are all dreadful.

B

bushyboo

You could get yourself the trees book from collins gems http://www.collins.co.uk/books.aspx?group=92 small enough to fit in your back pocket and full of pics also a bit at the front that lets you identify trees from their bark the also do a good fungi book and one on food for free , ive got the three of them just need the wild flower one now

ganstey

Settler
Thanks for the tips guys. Andy, I see what you're saying. As it happens, I was speaking to an acquaintance of mine last night, and she's become really good at identifiying trees. I'm going to try and arrange to go on a few walks with her and try and pick up some of her knowledge.

I really like the idea of building up my own book based on my own observations. I've already sort of started doing that, but only in electronic form, and only for trees I can identify. Extending that to gradually include all trees I come across is a brilliant idea :You_Rock_

I may well be back with some pictures in due course, but now I think I just need to get out there and start observing.

Cheers
G

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Try the forrestry commssion, I dimly remember going on a walk with them.
Also big country houues or, botanical gardens, often have labelled examples.

I really like the idea of building up my own book based on my own observations. I've already sort of started doing that, but only in electronic form, and only for trees I can identify. Extending that to gradually include all trees I come across is a brilliant idea :You_Rock

I am slowly building a list like this on PDA, so I have the info at my fingertips, but a low tech version is not a bad idea. I always found that it was better to have a really good book at home, than have to take three or four into the field. Bird books are a nightmare.

It is a good idea to do this for everything, so you can increase what you know, and whether you are right or not. A small digital camera is useful as well.

This site says these are the comman English trees.
http://www.british-trees.com/guide/home.htm
We should be able to do this, and maybe make it a sticky
Alder -
Ash - Grey Bark, Black buds, and the leaf stems are paired.
Aspen
Bay Willow
Beech
Bird Cherry
Black Poplar
Box
Common Oak
Crab Apple
Crack Willow
Downy Birch
Field Maple
Goat Willow
Hawthorn
Hazel
Holly
Hornbeam
Juniper
Large Leaved Lime
Midland Thorn
Rowan - Grey Bark, leaf steams are not paired.
Scots Pine
Sessile Oak
Silver Birch
Small Leaved Lime
Strawberry Tree
Walnut (non-native)
Whitebeam
White Willow
Wild Cherry
Wild Service Tree
Wych Elm
Yew

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Check for your local National Trust property, County Council and District Ranger Service as they often do tree and fungi walks at this time of year. Failing that its only a matter of getting a book with good pictures and going out yourself.

ganstey

Settler
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm arranging a trip to Westonbirt with a friend who's good at this sort of thing. I'm going to start putting together my own book as suggested on here. At least that way I'll be forced to look closely at each tree I'm identifying, rather than looking at it casually and think "Nope, don't know that one".

Cheers
G

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
You could get yourself the trees book from collins gems http://www.collins.co.uk/books.aspx?group=92 small enough to fit in your back pocket and full of pics also a bit at the front that lets you identify trees from their bark the also do a good fungi book and one on food for free , ive got the three of them just need the wild flower one now

I would suggest getting the slightly larger (and for some reason cheaper) "Trees of Britain and Europe" as not only does it show the leaves, berrys/nuts and bark it also shows the shape of the tree in winter.

ganstey

Settler
I would suggest getting the slightly larger (and for some reason cheaper) "Trees of Britain and Europe" as not only does it show the leaves, berrys/nuts and bark it also shows the shape of the tree in winter.

Any chance of providing a link to it on Amazon? I've tried searching and its come back with several hits. I can't work out which of those is the one you refer to.

Thanks
G

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Personally, and this is just my opinion based upon my learning around tree species, that I'd say you would be wasting your time on a day course...and your money too if im honest.

Chances are they are likely to try and fit as much in as possible which means regardless of how well they teach it to you you are going to very quickly forget what they tell you, also you are not going to be in the woods that you visit so may not cover the species in your area.

There are far too many to know them all, and why learn the ones that you never see, so stick with the ones that are there and that you use.

IMO, and this is how I went about it and, again, imo, has worked for me - I think you'd be much better off with a notepad and pencil and maybe a camera. Travel your local woods and collect leaves, twigs, nuts, fruits, seeds etc etc) of a few trees at a time, make some notes about the tree...what soil is it growing on, is it in/near water, what fungi are around, what animals, photograph the whole tree, the bark, the leaves etc... and then take your samples and notes home with you and ID them at your lesuire.

Dedicate one page of the notepad to one tree. When you confident of the species stick its name in big letters at the top of the page.

I know it works, because even my 5yr old nephew is learning to ID trees in this way.

Plus if you are stuck, ask on here using your photos and notes.

EDIT...
LMAO...just read that through and my spelling, punctuation and grammer are all dreadful.

Now that is a REALLY good idea :You_Rock_

and that's speaking as a Forestry graduate!!!

Dom.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Any chance of providing a link to it on Amazon? I've tried searching and its come back with several hits. I can't work out which of those is the one you refer to.

Thanks
G

Couldn't find it on Amazon (mainly cos none of the search results had cover pictures lol), but it's the last book on this search .. http://www.collins.co.uk/Books.aspx?searchTerm=trees&searchType=Title

I picked it up for something like £2, and last week they had it in Nevisport in Fort William (I know that's no good for you but it gives you a rough idea of prices) for £2.99.

I've also seen it in those ubercheap bookshops like The Works etc.

HTH

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
If you're wanting to identify trees in winter you should try this book -

A Guide to the Identification of Deciduous Broad-Leaved Trees and Shrubs in Winter, by J Panter and A May.

http://www.field-studies-council.org/publications/pubsinfo.aspx?Code=258

I've not seen this one myself, but I have the fern guide from the same series and it has the best key I've ever used.

I'd agree that guided walks by countryside rangers, wildlife trusts etc are a good way to learn identification. Personally I learnt tree identification by myself, but bird identification from guided walks and working with experienced countryside rangers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE