Tree Ident please (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I mentioned that I have a tree at the bottom of my garden in another thread and that I thought it might be a blue spruce . . .but.
Can anyone identify it for sure?

Heres a close up of the needles
Needles.jpg

The blue tint to the underside of the needles is more apparent here
Bluetintneedles.jpg

A shot of the bark
Bark.jpg

And finally what I assume is the beginnings of a cone
Kernal.jpg

S,o,r,r,y for the big pics.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kev

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The cone looks a little round for it to be a thouroghbred blue spruce. I think it maybe a hybred. I have a spruce in my backyard and I have never been able to pin down the ID on it. It was bought as a christmas tree 8 years ago. What colour are the flowers?

This website is good for information http://www.fw.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrology/syllabus/biglist_framegymno.cfm

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That could well be a blue spruce NG. The needle colouration, shape and layout is consistent. The bark is wrong for a Norway Spruce. I'm tempted to say yes but it could be a Sitka or Serbian

Red

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Thanks for the help guys,
Yes the young cone does look very round but the fully developed cones are quite long and almost cylindrical (from memory) i'd say up to about 5 in long and they are a lite brown when they drop.
I haven't seen any flowers (that I'd recognise as flowers anyway) but it has been very wet and I hadn't paid much attention to it this year until the pine needle tea thread.
From what I've seen It's a more Xmas tree shape than a Sitka which seems a lot more narrow than my tree.
I think based on what you've shown me I'd probably go with it being a blue you've pointed out what i needed to look at thx :You_Rock_ .

Kev

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I'd go with blue spruce, although the bark doesn't look right so maybe a cultivar or hybrid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE