Treating insect bites in the field(or woods etc)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last weekend myself and Pete/i camp at butlin's got properly munched on by wee flying beasties and it drove us both bonkers
now usually i have anti histamine cream and tablets in my first aid kit/medicinal pouch(first aid to me is also about alleviating issues rather than just plugging the leaks :))
however i dont always have my big FAK with me just a pocket one with plasters etc in.
what plants/natural products are good for the treatment of bites?
i've read somewhere that pine pitch is good due to the turps in it.
i also wondered about applying a Greater Plaintain or Ribwort Plantian poultice as i know its good for such things
is Yarrow any good?
any other suggestions?

(i'm asking for curiosity's sake as much as anything else and i know that its not medical advice per'se what i read here)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i tend to spend quite a bit of time barefoot or in sandals/flip flops so i quite often get bites on my feet, i find that kicking the ashes from the fire around a little bit works wonders. i just get my feet right into the ashes at the edge of the fire and rub my feet against one another for a bit to try and give them a real good covering of ash. i don't know whether it's the heat of the fire or the alkalinity (i may have just made that word up) of the wood ash that does it but it does seem to work pretty well. maybe not quite so effective if you've got bites on your face though.....

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....an old manager of mine used to hold the hot end of her smoke directly above the bite apparantly that worked.....

it was the suggestion that heat helped that led me to try the ashes, a hot spoon was the suggestion i was given but it didn't work too well for me, cooking my feet for a little while proved to be much more effective

udamiano

On a new journey
Greater plantain, is what I use. It contains a natural anti-histamine, which reduces the swelling of the bite area and stops the itching. It is used in commercial products using its french name of 'cut hay' on the ingredient list. The name comes from the smell thats released when its cut, and is usually what you are smelling when you cut the grass in your lawn, or walk past someone cutting grass in a field.

hope this helps

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Greater plantain, is what I use. It contains a natural anti-histamine, which reduces the swelling of the bite area and stops the itching. It is used in commercial products using its french name of 'cut hay' on the ingredient list. The name comes from the smell thats released when its cut, and is usually what you are smelling when you cut the grass in your lawn, or walk past someone cutting grass in a field.

hope this helps

And the buds of ?? Greater plantain?? Is far better than dock for nettle :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Chewing tobbacco juice (spit) on bee & wasp stings is an old folk remedy; never did any good that I remember though. Bleach on said stings did help (not very bushcrafty though)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Chewing tobbacco juice (spit) on bee & wasp stings is an old folk remedy; never did any good that I remember though. Bleach on said stings did help (not very bushcrafty though)

I chaw twist a lot, and dip when I can get some shipped. I'll do a mythbusters test next time I get stung. :p

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think Toddy recommended to me that a wipe with a solution made from meadowsweet flowers is effective for itchy midge bites. Add flowers to water and steep, or possibly boil it for quicker results, though then you have to wait for it to cool.

neck and arms mainly
Pete got one on his eye which swelled up enough to look like he was scrapping and lost
we had a good coating of nordic summer on but we didnt apply it enough i think
five mins after we got there we slapped some on. reckon we should of put some more on before we crashed out, i could break out the DEET but considering how badly it ruined an old compass of mine i get scared putting it on me

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
In answer to your question about yarrow- Its probably one of the more (or even most) interesting herbs you are likely to come across... Well worth a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achillea_millefolium

Wish is have known......
Yarrow has seen historical use as a medicine, often because of its astringent effects. [1] Decoctions have been used to treat inflammations, such as hemorrhoids, and headaches...

The piles I came back from Scotland with didn't half gimee headache :eek:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The piles I came back from Scotland with didn't half gimee headache

LoL... For once, I'm lost for words :)

Strangely enough, I've just picked up a foraging book and a few pages in, theres a snippet about vitamin c being great for insect bites and also burns/scalds. 1000mg capsule in half a cup of water, bathe affected area.
Makes me wonder about rowan berry's and other high vitamin c berry's/plants, sea buckthorn, rosehips ect.

As said though, preventions always better than cure!

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Wish is have known......
Yarrow has seen historical use as a medicine, often because of its astringent effects. [1] Decoctions have been used to treat inflammations, such as hemorrhoids, and headaches...

The piles I came back from Scotland with didn't half gimee headache :eek:

I've heard patting tea leaves around an angry pile helps!

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE