Treating a Kuksa - advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I have just been given a lovely Kuksa (hand carved wooden cup) from Finland. I have been told to treat it with brandy or another alcohol before use. Can someone advise on what i need to do, im abit short on brandy so will vodka or bacardi do the same thing? Should it be soaked, wiped or filled? Is there anything else recommended. Advice appreciated :)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
To get the rid of the salty taste stronge bevereages like coffe or some alcohol can be good. Thereafter always make sure you rinse the kuksa in water (the only way to ever clean it) and a bit of oil now and then will make it last longer.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
The Kuksa I made, and boild in salt water, I was advised to use alcohol to get rid of the saltyness, I would use cheap stuff though as it tastes bloomin awful when it is full of salt!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I fancy having a bash at makeing one of these sometime so can someone clarify a minor point for me

Is the coffee / alcohol purely to mask / remove the salty water taste? - I only ask as I can't stand coffee and am tea total!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Think it is purely for the removal of the salt!!

however someome please correct me if i am wrong

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Thanks for the advice everyone I will try a soak of cheap vodka (for the cup) do I need to do anything other than rise the cup with with water to maintain it?

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Aah..the kuksa!

I read through this thread a few weeks ago, and thought I`d contribute....I`ve had the same Kuksa for the past 11 years or so, and found it to be (in addition to a few knives) a favorite piece of equipment. It doesn`t burn your lips, floats in water, is a natural product born out of craftsmanship...and is way more aesthetically pleasing than a plastic mug. I received mine as a gift from my parents, when they came to visit my wilderness hideaway (log cabin) in the Tuntsa Wilderness area in Northeastern Lapland in Finland....

The use of alcohol when first taking the kuksa into use, seemed to be one point of speculation in this thread...let me explain how it is done in Finland. Think of the Japanese tea ceremony...

It is in effect a certain type of "baptism/initiation rite" for the kuksa. Initially, you sit by the fire and measure out a dram of some treasured beverage (brandy, cognac, whisky, coffee...) with a respectful attitude for the whole procedure... :) You then raise the cup to the heavens like a newborn child, and toasting to the six primary directions (NEWS+up and down), welcome the kuksa into this world as a wilderness companion. You then spill an appropriate amount to the "maahinen" (little people of the forest) asking for their blessing...and sip the nectar yourself...et voila! A lifetime friendship has begun... :)

Wash/rinse the kuksa only with clean water, protect it from direct sunlight and dry places...and remember to gently caress it every now and then...

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Naruska said:
Aah..the kuksa!

I read through this thread a few weeks ago, and thought I`d contribute....I`ve had the same Kuksa for the past 11 years or so, and found it to be (in addition to a few knives) a favorite piece of equipment. It doesn`t burn your lips, floats in water, is a natural product born out of craftsmanship...and is way more aesthetically pleasing than a plastic mug. I received mine as a gift from my parents, when they came to visit my wilderness hideaway (log cabin) in the Tuntsa Wilderness area in Northeastern Lapland in Finland....

The use of alcohol when first taking the kuksa into use, seemed to be one point of speculation in this thread...let me explain how it is done in Finland. Think of the Japanese tea ceremony...

It is in effect a certain type of "baptism/initiation rite" for the kuksa. Initially, you sit by the fire and measure out a dram of some treasured beverage (brandy, cognac, whisky, coffee...) with a respectful attitude for the whole procedure... :) You then raise the cup to the heavens like a newborn child, and toasting to the six primary directions (NEWS+up and down), welcome the kuksa into this world as a wilderness companion. You then spill an appropriate amount to the "maahinen" (little people of the forest) asking for their blessing...and sip the nectar yourself...et voila! A lifetime friendship has begun... :)

Wash/rinse the kuksa only with clean water, protect it from direct sunlight and dry places...and remember to gently caress it every now and then...

Well time to make another and do things right this time!!

Thanks for that info, good to keep these traditions going (Even if on forign soil)

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
I`ve been trying to post this since yesterday... :(

This is how one "maestro" does it up in Salla, Northern Finland...He goes out and collects birch burls, which are then stored in his boiler room for some 3 to 5 years! The cut is painted over with a mixture of glue and water, in order to slow down the drying process...He then eventually proceeds with the shaping procedure which follows the traditional form and style off Kuksa...similar to a ladle.

The ones you see with finger holes are a relatively recent model, dating back just a couple of decades...in Finland, these are called the "lantalaismalli". "Lantalainen" is a kind of derogatory term for non-saami people, who "invaded" Lapland from the southern parts of Finland (ie. farmers...).
Boiling in salt water is a method of speeding up the drying process/curing the wood...also using a single block of wood (as opposed to a burl..) is a type of modern shortcut, so to speak...as nowadays, access to suitable burls can be a real pain, even here in Finland... :(

Oiling the exterior and never washing the interior (except with water...) will eventually produce a work of art :) My kuksa is pitch black on the inside due to a couple thousand cups of coffee passing through...

Marko

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE