Transit Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
I've been playing around with one of these to make up for the lack of a built in protractor.

PocketCorners_Image.gif

I have to say that with the addition of a piece of thread from the centre hole these far out perform a baseplate compass because I can measure angles right across the page.

It's also just the right size to fit into the compass case with the transit.

There is a website where they post all kinds of these things as PDF files so that you can print them out on transparency 'paper' and use them... If I can find it, I will post it. They sell them also, if I remember correctly, but I do not think that they make much profit on them!

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
<snip>

Some of them can get a bit silly:

http://www.sailgb.com/p/three_arm_protractor/

<snip>

Do not down the three arm protractor, we used them on the boat when you needed to find your position FAST and RELIABLY. You set the THREE bearings you get from your instruments and just line them up with the objects on the map. You take RELATIVE bearings, not compass bearings. So the protractor center shows your boats position and direction with one step, no compass needed.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Do not down the three arm protractor, we used them on the boat when you needed to find your position FAST and RELIABLY. You set the THREE bearings you get from your instruments and just line them up with the objects on the map. You take RELATIVE bearings, not compass bearings. So the protractor center shows your boats position and direction with one step, no compass needed.

That's dangerously wrong on three counts.

Firstly it is not safe to sail without a compass, or to ignore it when taking bearings. It provides a valuable check on the bearings that you take for no extra effort.

Secondly if you take three magnetic bearings of navigational marks with a compass, a gross error will immediately be obvious when you plot them, because you won't get anything like a reasonable 'cocked hat'. There is redundancy in the measurements, because if you use a compass (and assuming you're awake) you really only need two bearings to get a position. If you take three bearings relative to the ship's heading then (a) the heading may have been different for each bearing, and more importantly (b) a gross error may not be obvious. If the boat's heading is unknown and the navigational marks are not widely separated then there may be no redundancy in the measurements at all (and you probably haven't been doing what any prudent navigator should do anyway).

Thirdly even if the heading is constant for the measurements of the bearings, the use of bearings relative to the ship's heading gives you the ship's heading at the instant of measurement, not its course. Tidal streams and perhaps leeway mean that the course over the ground will differ, sometimes very substantially, from the heading.

Finally you don't use a map when sailing, you use a chart. Hopefully one that's been corrected up to date.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Out of the bunch I ordered to try out, I've decided I like the 25k version of this the best.

UTMGrid24_ProductImageBig.gif

I very rarely us anything but 25k maps anyway so I don't really need the other scales, it still fits my compass case and with the addition of a tiny hole drilled in the centre I can use it with a thread for bearings as well.

The extra lines and dots on the romer make it much easier to line up on the grid while taking a thread bearing from a point off centre.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hello wayland. I'm afraid I skimped out when I realised the postage was 20 bucks compared to zip from DX so I went with the undampened version as you did. Hasn't arrived yet, also ordered a pair of cammenga lensatic compass copies which arrived on friday. The quality was varying, not really happy with them as the differ a bit from the original, but for $6 I can't really complain, I think I even prefer them over my silva baseplate compasses. I think I will use a silva button compass that comes with as a plastic paper clip on the map, for quick navigation on the go, and either the transit or lensatic for taking bearings, tri/biangulation and dead reckoning. Oh and as my ranger beads seems to have gotten legs and taken off, I made a new set from plastic hobby beads and climbing string. Much more colourful and cheerful, which is good for essential navigation equipment. Cost naught as well.

Sorry for the random navigation rambling :)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Just to tlet you all know my transit compass still hasnt showed up yet - its been over a month

Cheers
Nick

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
So, now I have adjusted the needle and greased it a bit. It was very sensitive at first, but now it's quite okay. Gonna try to do a field test with this, a cammenga copy and a few silva compasses this weekend. Also set the magnetic declination.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
After the short trial I did on sundays walk I think that I won't really use transit knock-off for actual navigation. The american walking compass is more apt for the job IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE