Trangia burners test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
we all know that getting the burner to "jet" is what gets us out cuppa. To this end, this afternoon my son and I put three burners to the test in the kitchen.
1. Army trangia burner (new)
2. Civvy trangia burner (well used)
3. Tatonka burner (used once only)

At half full the results looked something like this:

1. 4.5 minutes to jet
2. 35 seconds to jet
3. 1 minute and 5 seconds to jet

We then let them cool a bit put 15ml in each and did it again
1. in just over a minute
2. in under 10 seconds
3. a whisker slower than 2

Food for thought??

Steve

Fillling them up seemed to make matters worse and slow the times dramatically even on a warm burner.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
we all know that getting the burner to "jet" is what gets us out cuppa. To this end, this afternoon my son and I put three burners to the test in the kitchen.
1. Army trangia burner (new)
2. Civvy trangia burner (well used)
3. Tatonka burner (used once only)

At half full the results looked something like this:

1. 4.5 minutes to jet
2. 35 seconds to jet
3. 1 minute and 5 seconds to jet

We then let them cool a bit put 15ml in each and did it again
1. in just over a minute
2. in under 10 seconds
3. a whisker slower than 2

Food for thought??

Steve

Fillling them up seemed to make matters worse and slow the times dramatically even on a warm burner.
I'm thinking about getting a Tatonka burner, to use with my Swedish Army Trangia, as they seem to be getting good reviews.

Is the Tatonka smaller on the flange diameter than the military Trangia burner? This would be good, as I find the civvy Trangia burner a better fit in the military pot, when packed for storage, with all the other essentials that I want to keep in the Trangia for immediate use.

It has been mentioned elsewhere, that the Army Trangia burner is slower to prime and bloom, I think this is due to the larger quantity of fuel to be heated to a vapour flashpoint. Many people speed this along by 'spilling' a little meths into the groove around the burner's rim, and lighting this as well, to help heat the burner.

In use, I have found the military burner to be perfectly adequate, but the simmer ring from the civvy Trangia is not a good fit on the mouth of the military burner.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Is the Tatonka smaller on the flange diameter than the military Trangia burner? This would be good, as I find the civvy Trangia burner a better fit in the military pot, when packed for storage, with all the other essentials that I want to keep in the Trangia for immediate use.

The Tatonka's flange seems to be the same as that of the civvy Trangia - and the simmer ring of the civvy Trangia fits the Tatonka.

In fact, put base to base, the diameter of the two fuel bases seem to be the same as well, but when I measure them with the calipers, the tatonka seems wider. But my civvy tangia is a bit dented and I may not be handling the calipers correctly.

The tatonka is taller, of course, and therefore has a greater capacity. It seems to have much more wick - one has to wait for the wick to absorb the meths, and then fill it up again a few times until it is really full.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
I'm thinking about getting a Tatonka burner, to use with my Swedish Army Trangia, as they seem to be getting good reviews.

It has been mentioned elsewhere, that the Army Trangia burner is slower to prime and bloom, I think this is due to the larger quantity of fuel to be heated to a vapour flashpoint. Many people speed this along by 'spilling' a little meths into the groove around the burner's rim, and lighting this as well, to help heat the burner.

In use, I have found the military burner to be perfectly adequate, but the simmer ring from the civvy Trangia is not a good fit on the mouth of the military burner.

I tried the tatonka burner in my SA trangia at the weekend. worked fine and and from 1st lite to boil 1/2 pint about 2 minutes quicker than the burner the SA tranny comes with.

The tatonka is noiw my main the other one is back up.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
The Tatonka's flange seems to be the same as that of the civvy Trangia - and the simmer ring of the civvy Trangia fits the Tatonka.

In fact, put base to base, the diameter of the two fuel bases seem to be the same as well, but when I measure them with the calipers, the tatonka seems wider. But my civvy tangia is a bit dented and I may not be handling the calipers correctly.

The tatonka is taller, of course, and therefore has a greater capacity. It seems to have much more wick - one has to wait for the wick to absorb the meths, and then fill it up again a few times until it is really full.

Thanks !! That's just the info I needed, on both fronts.

I use my Swedish Army Trangia quite a lot, but for stews, rather than boiling, so I use the simmer ring most of the time. I will definitely get a Tatonka burner, I think.

I am also planning to get a piece of metal (not sure whether to use Stainless or Titanium) to put under the base of the large pot, to spread the heat, as the stainless Trangia pots tend to hold the heat in a 'hotspot' over the centre of the burner, leading to stews burning, and the cooking taking longer, as I can't use max heat for fear of burning even more stew onto the pot.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
I am also planning to get a piece of metal (not sure whether to use Stainless or Titanium) to put under the base of the large pot, to spread the heat, as the stainless Trangia pots tend to hold the heat in a 'hotspot' over the centre of the burner, leading to stews burning, and the cooking taking longer, as I can't use max heat for fear of burning even more stew onto the pot.

Have you tried putting the big pot ontop of the fry pan that might have a similar effect????

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
The tatonka's diameter is ever so slightly bigger than the civvy trangia - this means it is a very tight fit with the honey stove (see group buy). It works but a bit of force needs to be used.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
The tatonka's diameter is ever so slightly bigger than the civvy trangia - this means it is a very tight fit with the honey stove (see group buy). It works but a bit of force needs to be used.

Yes - I just tried the tatonka's pot stand with the trangia. On the tatonka the pot stand is a tight fit, on the trangia there is a little bit of play - a couple of millimetres. Still useable though.

EDIT:
It works but a bit of force needs to be used.

Nothing that a bit of filing won't fix:)

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Have you tried putting the big pot ontop of the fry pan that might have a similar effect????
I did try it briefly, and it didn't seem to be such a good thing, there's a big air gap between the pots, doing it that way, so poor heat transfer. Also, I use the small pot for putting chopped mushrooms in, while I'm frying the onions first in the large pot.

What I'm working towards is a seperate piece, to replicate the thick bases added to good quality saucepans, sometimes a piece of copper, bonded to the stainless pan, although my idea will be a seperate item, not bonded in any way.

I might even make a heat spreader disc to put under my Tibetan Titanium 1100 pot, for when I use that for stews, same problem, you can't use full heat, or things burn in the centre of the pot.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
:rolleyes:
I did try it briefly, and it didn't seem to be such a good thing, there's a big air gap between the pots, doing it that way, so poor heat transfer. Also, I use the small pot for putting chopped mushrooms in, while I'm frying the onions first in the large pot.

What I'm working towards is a seperate piece, to replicate the thick bases added to good quality saucepans, sometimes a piece of copper, bonded to the stainless pan, although my idea will be a seperate item, not bonded in any way.

I might even make a heat spreader disc to put under my Tibetan Titanium 1100 pot, for when I use that for stews, same problem, you can't use full heat, or things burn in the centre of the pot.

Hmmm:rolleyes: I did wonder as I was at work when I made that suggestion so didnt have my SA tranny with me.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I've got lots of stoves, paraffin, petrol, gas and alcohol - some of which are just as collectors items and some for serious camping. By far the worst is the Trangia and clones!

The Trangia is expensive, heavy, bulky, and fuel inefficient - alcohol having a low calorific value for its weight. The only thing that can be said for it is that it's simple and wind resistant! I used mine once for backpacking in the Cairngorms and it's now relegated to the loft.

I think the main reason why they're so popular, is that the users were issued with them on D.of E. expeditions when they were young, and assume that they must be the 'proper' thing to use.

The other alcohol stoves I have are a Brasslight (_NEVER_ use one in a tent!), an Optimus 81 and an Optimus 111 triple fuel stove. I'll sometimes use the Optimus 111 when camping out of the boot of the car, but prefer my Russian R1 (an Optimus 8R clone). The Optimus 81 is an interesting variation on the Trangia idea.

When backpacking I use a Coleman F1 Lite (gas), which is lighter than a 'Pocket Rocket' (but not as fashionable), cheaper, and at least as efficient.

Jim

(BTW, did I mention _NEVER_ use a Brasslite in a tent?)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mr Ford, how you doing? good to see you over here :)

We'll have to disagree on the Trangia, but the rest of your list is excellent :) Optimus Trapper/81? For those not familiar its very similar to a real Trangia (not the Swedish Army POS) but with a radically different burner and much more efficient:)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Optimus Trapper/81? For those not familiar its very similar to a real Trangia (not the Swedish Army POS) but with a radically different burner and much more efficient:)

... and similar to the Trangia, it dominates your rucksack it's so bulky! It'd be fine if you've got a mule or sherpa to carry it and its fuel.

Jim

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The other thing I forgot to mention with regards to alcohol stoves, which is more applicable to inexperienced users, is that as the flame is near invisible in sunlight it poses a danger. Spillage on the grass, possibly in a trail leading back to the tent, can catch fire and burn without being obvious. The consequences of this happening _would_ be obvious! For this reason, I don't like seing slap-happy D. of E.s using Trangias.

Jim

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Question why don't y'all use gas burners I take an old Colman with me.
Will cook about 5 meals on a tank of regular gas it is the peak-1 and
takes up about the same space as a candle lantern

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The other thing I forgot to mention with regards to alcohol stoves, which is more applicable to inexperienced users, is that as the flame is near invisible in sunlight it poses a danger. Spillage on the grass, possibly in a trail leading back to the tent, can catch fire and burn without being obvious. The consequences of this happening _would_ be obvious! For this reason, I don't like seing slap-happy D. of E.s using Trangias.

Jim

The Trapper is 8"X5" so not big really, and that includes a frying pan and two saucepans so a good use of space, plus of course the greatly extended burn time, well over an hour. Meths stoves are safe enough if you train people regardless of age correctly. My daughter was setting up Trangia's and getting a brew on in a safe manner aged ten, as did my son; had them both lighting paraffin stoves about the same age too. Half litre of meths will see me through a weekend so the total weight is not bad at all, I'm not a lightweight camper.

Dan, I've been using Coleman stoves on and off for a couple of years now, very good they are too. The 442 Exponent is good and I have a nice old 500 which saw a mate through the aftermath of Katrina and he gave to me for my birthday. I've finally fettled an old 413 twin burner suitcase which I intend to take away on the 27th for a weekend camp (with an American who is working over here just now) together with a 1968 twin mantle Coleman lantern:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE