"Tramp Camping" by W.L.Pember

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Poking around one of my favourite second hand bookshops I've just found an intriguing little book called "Tramp Camping" by W.L.Pember 1927

It's a little under A5 and 95 pages with that cheap cardboard binding that was common in the early 20th century.

It's so bushcrafty I'm surprised it hasn't sprouted leaves. It's British but reads like Kephart or Nesmuk.

Has anybody else come across this little gem?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Yet another book for you collection?:D You are going to have one heck of a libary there fella. Sound like an interesting book, what does it cover?.

Simon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id like to see it too.

Its pretty old, anyone know what the copyright status is?

if its ouit we should scan it and put it online for everyone to enjoy.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Has anybody else come across this little gem?

I have had a copy of this fantastic book since childhood, I have mentioned it before on this forum. I did attempt to scan it into electronic form but never got around to finishing that labour. Yes it is very much a British version of Nesmuk, you must have this in your left hip pocket and this in your right :D I like the bit where he talks about everyone bringing luxuries to camp and the guy who take a full dressing gown.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Literary copyright lasts 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last remaining author of the work dies.

Since the book was published in 1927 that leaves only 10 years margin for Mr Pember to have died if the copyright is to have expired by now.

I think that is cutting it a bit fine myself.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Oops soz, Tengu, deleted that post! (I had found loads of exceptions, but I think they are only in the US. The patent office seems pretty clear that it is 70 years after death, unless its a Typographical arrangement, but I don't reckon we can argue that ) Can't find anything on this Pember chap though.

But I still think we will be fine :D.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been looking for info on the author but cannot find much. As someone who has copyright issues about my own work it would not sit well with me to distribute this publication without clear evidence that the copyright has actually expired.

The publisher is Ernest Benn Ltd which in 1927 became Benn & Gollancz.

Gollancz are still trading and Ernest Benn was part of the political dynasty of Anthony Wedgewood Benn.

We're talking about people with a lot of money and clout.

The printers are Burleigh Press of Bristol. They would also have rights to the typographical arrangement of published editions but that would expire after 25 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was first published.

It all hinges on Mr Pember who was actively writing in at least the years 1923 to 1927

Other publications attributed to him are:

PEMBER, W. LEONARD (chron.)

* * Decorate Your Camp Kit, (cl) Chums Jul 5 1925
* * Hunters of the Far North, (ar) Chums Jul 21 1923
* * Our Camping Out Corner, (cl) Chums May 17, May 24, Jun 7, Jun 14, Jun 28 1925

This is all assuming that the rights have not been left to someone else which I've a dusty memory about being a possibility.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE