Traditional teeth care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:lmao: :rolleyes:

they leave you mouth feeling clean and fresh and the taste certainly wakes you up (very sour)

not sure if i could bear to do that!
i shall try it later in the year!

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
The Japanesse use charcoal to clean their teeth, mind you the charcoal comes from eggplants.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
torjusg said:
The worst thing is that the taste lingers on virtually forever. I have ruined quite a few otherwise tasty meals for myself by chewing spruce gum.

Torjus Gaaren

I read in a book at Abbe´s about how the new settlers did in Lappland and pine resin or spruce are supposed to be in a particular colour to not sticj to your teeth and to taste better. Just cant remember exactly how it was supposed to be.

But in the old days people did not eat as mucj sugar as we do today so the probably did not need to clean their teeth as much as we do today ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Their breads were coarser too so less of the sticky carbohydrate stuff hung around to help tartar develop. Archaeologically there's apparantly a noticeable difference in the teeth of those who live mostly on farmed crops; far more caries and abcesses. Seems like variety is the way to go :)

Cheers,
Toddy

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Viking said:
I read in a book at Abbe´s about how the new settlers did in Lappland and pine resin or spruce are supposed to be in a particular colour to not sticj to your teeth and to taste better. Just cant remember exactly how it was supposed to be.

But in the old days people did not eat as mucj sugar as we do today so the probably did not need to clean their teeth as much as we do today ;)

The colour you are talking about is probably pink. We call it ikøntappe. As you say tastes better and doesn't stick as much.

Torjus Gaaren

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
jerv said:
oetzi didn't have cavities. it's interesting that primitive people seem to be free of dental problems. They have worn teeth sure. anyone got any idea when real dental problems started to occur and what (presumably dietry only) changes had caused the change.
I never ever used to clean my teeth when i was in the hills then i started chewing on birch twigs. Nowadays i carry a toothbrush i just realised that they aren't that heavy.

its the advent of refined sugars that have caused much of it - its also increased the likes of athletes foot and fungal nails - probably why I have em both :(

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
crazydave said:
its the advent of refined sugars that have caused much of it - its also increased the likes of athletes foot and fungal nails - probably why I have em both :(

Damn, me too, I have both :/

@Toddy: I don't think variety solves dental problems, for example inuit who ate fish n meat only didn't seem to have problems either. Just to nit pick ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, your point is well made, but in our Western diet, which is heavy in farmed carbohydrates, the variety diet seems to help. My diet is pretty varied ( :rolleyes: now that doesn't surprise *anyone* :D ) and I don't get tartar and I don't suffer from caries, but friends my age who eat *normal* foods really do seem to have problems with tartar build up, bad breath and a surprising number of abcesses :(
I think we need roughage if we're going to eat the sticky carbohydrates.

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Tea tree oil applied neat to fungal nails cures the problem quicker than any of the potions of the pharmacist ;) and it does a pretty decent job on the athletes-foot too :D

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Toddy said:
p.s. Tea tree oil applied neat to fungal nails cures the problem quicker than any of the potions of the pharmacist ;) and it does a pretty decent job on the athletes-foot too :D

You're a star :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE