Traditional New Years' Meals?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I made the traditional Southerner's New Year's Day meal again this year:

1) Balckeyed peas
2) Hog Jowl (ususally in the balckeyed peas)
3) Greens (my choice was my family's traditional choice of collard greens although some families use cabbage)

All items are supposed to be for good luck in the new year. The blackeyed peas represent a steady diet of staple food; the hog jowl is for fat and flavor and represent the same in your life; and lastly the greens represent prosperity.

I also added a simple main meat dish, in this case hickory smoked boneless pork simply because it goes well with the other dishes. Ham or sausage is common here as well.

Now my question is, are there any traditional foods at New year in the UK? If so are there any superstitions (good luck in the New Year, etc) associated with them?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I had a traditional NYE British meal this year....... beer! Oh, and a steak and ale pie....so more beer....:eek:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Our NYE tradition is much the same. Maybe add a good full fatty breakfast shortly after midnight or later just before hitting the bed. But the one I posted about was for NY Day.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Ah...in which case definately the full English breakfast to soak up the ale from the previous evening!

On a serious note, i'm not aware of any traditional meals eaten on New Years Day in the UK......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE