Traditional British knives, anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
So, we've all seen, read and heard about scandinavian utility knives and axes (scandis, moras, helle, leukus, GFB and whatnot).

One of my reflections is that there is seldom anything said about traditional british cutting tools. A post here about bushseax and a billhook there, but in general, very little.

Since I've grown up with moras and puokkos, I would really like to see, and read about, some nice british blades.

Come on, hit me! ;)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Snufkin said:
Not British, but there is the Scottish dirk and scein dhu (sp?)

Congratulations, the quickest reply I've ever seen!

But scottish is okay, everything from the british isles. Any pictures? Sounds like a big knife, with a slighty curved blade. Somewhere near?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I would be really really interested in this too. It's got me wondering.....

Maybe there are archeological forums to ask on, also Dave Budd might know i believe he was an archeologist........ Maybe some of his knifes on his site follow an old english style, i dont know.

I wonder what handle's where made of?

Oh sorry my thoughts are escaping :rolleyes:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Toddy said:

Hmmm, seems to be more of daggers than utility knives to me. But a claymore would be fun to cut sapplings with. :D

As you say, the fisherfolks knives would be interesting.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Maggies lot shut down all the steel industries :( i new we would regret it one day rest in peace all those lovely little Sheffield made penknives I had when I was a kid :cussing:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
And after maggies lot shut them down blairs lot replaced them with banks to manage all our debt that the country now relies on :D

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Aside from the politics, What constitutes a British knife?
Made in Britain or British style? Seaxes are a Saxon import, billhooks seem just as common in France and many Sheffield knives were made for the export Market. The US cutlery industry didn't really get going until their civil war in the 1860s.

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
I've got a Mod 4, and used to have a Sykes-Fairbairn, but it is probably still in Nam. Do they qualify as "British" knives???

The Mod 4 is great for splitting kindling, not worth a damn for cleaning your fingernails. The S-F is just the opposite...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
OldBaldGuy said:
I've got a Mod 4, and used to have a Sykes-Fairbairn, but it is probably still in Nam. Do they qualify as "British" knives???

The Mod 4 is great for splitting kindling, not worth a damn for cleaning your fingernails. The S-F is just the opposite...

Well, hmm, I was thinking of more traditional utility knifes. But sure, they seem to british all right. I wouldn't use the S-F for buschcrafting though.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a 'traditional' British knife. Like language, knife shapes and materials go in and out of fashion according to need. Now, I suppose the 'traditional' British knife for bushcrafting purposes would be the kind of things offered by Roger Harrington, Alan Wood (if you're prepared to wait for them!), Stephen Wade Cox and Paul Baker.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
There is the archaeological reference book Knives and Scabbards by Jane Cowgill and Margrethe De Neegaard.

This covers many of the knives, scabbards and other cutlery finds made in London - particularly 12th to 15th Century. It also has lots of technical drawings of the items with dimensions for those that want to try and reproduce them.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
big_swede said:
Well, hmm, I was thinking of more traditional utility knifes. But sure, they seem to british all right.

See the problem is that we didn't get much chance to make utility knives, due to a certain bunch of big hairy people from across the sea landing on our east coast and winding up the locals :lmao: Hence, we needed daggers more! lol :lmao: :p :lmao: :lmao:

:swordfigh

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The average peasant used a sickle and a bilhook mostly.
The knife would double as weapon and a tool to cut up food.Hence the preponderance of daggers.

The big hairy men from the north had a good grasp of metal and knife making and their knives would have been adopted by the original populace.The Saxon styles were probably superseded by those of the later invaders.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
bambodoggy said:
See the problem is that we didn't get much chance to make utility knives, due to a certain bunch of big hairy people from across the sea landing on our east coast and winding up the locals :lmao: Hence, we needed daggers more! lol :lmao: :p :lmao: :lmao:

:swordfigh

Ooops, sorry ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE