Trade your axe for this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Did you see Lars Monsen when he tried using one, he gave up eventually and reached for the axe :)

No I haven't. This is the first time I've seen this ridiculous contraption. Do you have a link showing Lars trying it?

Oh, never mind Shewie, found it!

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Blurb from the sales page. "You just place the wood under the wedge and lift the 3.3kg (7-1/4 lb) weight to the top of the shaft and propel it downward."

Hmmm, looks at my 500g little splitting axe and a rough calculation of energy over calories expended and I'll decide to keep the axe, thank you.

I've seen hydraulic set ups on the backs of tractors over here splitting huge rounds, so I can see where the inventor got the idea, I just don't see it as an improvement over the tried and tested method. That would be a big "D'oh!" in my books.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've seen similar at Estonian campgrounds. Instead of hurling a metal weight at the log, you hit the log onto the splitting bit with another heavy log.

No match for an axe even then.

It maybe better for youngsters to use than an axe though and probably has a place for scouts and holiday use where a claim is possible.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Saw one being demonstrated last year at the Royal Welsh Show. It was fantastic !!!! with seasoned logs about 8" long and about 5" diameter that had been selected for their straight grain.
Don't think it would work that well on anything bigger or anything with knots. I think an axe or maul would be quicker & easier.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thats a great peice of kit our local scout campsite had one. 10 year old scouts were able to split 10 inch rounds safely.

Would I swap my axe for one then the anser is no but would I use one then yes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE