Tracking in the snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Have been snowed out of work today, so I've been tracking bunnies/hare in the hills. Now then, there is a population of artic hares here - how do I tell the difference between hare and bunny? The tracks I saw today were quite big and 'hairy', so I was quite excited, but my inherent scepticism made me assume they were just well-fed bunnies. They seemed to 'float' across metre-deep snow, while the mutt and I floundered...

N

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don`t thinks there`s much to tell them apart, sounds daft but the tracks will be pretty similar in soft snow unfortunately. The arctics have fluffy furry feet but it would be hard to tell the difference unless the snow was already frozen or well packed.

I`d love to see them up there but so far no joy for me.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Mmm..the silly dog went all giddy (OK, so I was pushing him into metre deep drifts) and puppy-ish and kept messing up the trails - I kept falling thigh-deep into snow, while trying to follow the tracks which just skim over the top. Many of the trails appeared to be 3-legged, with the front legs sort of merging together into a single, wide print.

N

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Thigh deep! Sounds amazing. We got about fingernail deep here and I only managed to track the dog up the front path (who was also being really silly sliding and skidding all over the place!) You must have had a great time.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Yep - and we've had more today, with a massive snow dump forecast for Sunday. Looking in my notebook, I noticed that hares have a fifth toe sometimes showing on the rear prints - I'll have another go this w/e, and try to get some pictures.

I'm just going out; I may be some time.

N

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
yup walking to school this morning managed to show my eldest wabbit tracks, albeit a rabbit with mahoosive claws!
usual imprints two front feet not at same level then the rear feet ahead of that. longer rear feet etc.
really clear pads and nail marks tho. good light dusting of snow it was this morning.
fresh too as it was still snowing

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Out in the snow today, I saw deer, bunny and pheasant tracks. Also lots of other indeterminate stuff as the snow was so soft. Best moment of all was when I saw a sparrowhawk take something (possible a sparrow:) ) and fly off low over the field.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE