Tough camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Erm!! First bit I read was something like the following: -

The ruggedised Olympus Tough TG-310 is certainly a robust camera, but there are plenty of more resilient models out there. Its average performance and some usability issues don't do much to further this camera's cause.

Doesn't sound good to me. Its robust but others are tougher. Its average performance and not easy to use. To me it sounds like take another look elsewhere to me but I'm not expert. I used to know some people who used Olympus tough cameras for kayaking and had ok results but that was the eralier models. Nothing special in terms of results though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have the older 770 model, it is very tough and I am more than happy with the performance and image quality. It is also nice to be able to carry a camera on my belt and not really care what the days roughty toughty adventure might do to it. :)

Reviews and some user pictures will probably appear here at dpreview soon.

:)

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Only got a second to make a quick reply. Sploshed out on a TG-810 the other day after my Pentax W50 started to suffer. Only had a chance for a quick play, but it seems great. Fab screen, tough as old boots, love the lens protector, video camera can be a little iffy on focus (but that might be me not setting it correctly). Killer feature for me was USB charging so I don't have to carry around a separate charging block.

None of these tough cameras are going to turn you into David Bailey, but I'm very happy so far. I've got a fancy-pants Canon for 'proper' photography, but wouldn't take that into the woods.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I had a couple of Olympus MJU's back in the 35mm days and they were very good, tough compact cameras so Olympus certainly have the pedigree. I have a compact Pentax now which is very small but I wouldn't like to drop it or abuse it much. It lives in a LowePro case that is very good. I have an SLR too but, as most good photos are more about opportunity than planning or skill, I still like to have a compact around. Glyn

shamal

Mar 13, 2010
Bolsover
I use the Olympus mju Tough-8000 great camera for everyday use very strong had lots of abuse of myself and never let me down in all weather conditions to, but when being good and after just out for the pictures I use the olympus E520 with a few lenses and filters

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE