Touching Video: Tribes meets white man for the first time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Probably just me. I found it very sad in many ways. Another ancient culture that will probably disappear in a generation :(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Probably just me. I found it very sad in many ways. Another ancient culture that will probably disappear in a generation :(

Yeah I got a feeling from watching it that it'd be better to just leave them alone, I've not read the link yet so not sure of the outcome.

I suppose it's better to try and approach them like they did rather than them have to meet a bulldozer one morning.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

Felt the same way. Reminded me of the Ihalmiut. First we gave them presents, then we gave them our diseases. Then we forced them to adopt our culture. How long before their descendents will all be living in flats, mowing lawns, and wishing they had more time to do bushcraft. :lmao:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

You are not alone.

Quite a lot of that annoys me though I found it fascinating and like the "knock on head" gesture which i suppose means something is "wow".

Anyone who gives or shows something that captures an image like a photo or mirror on fisrt contact is very unwise. Soul capture freaks out a lot of people. Even today I still meet people who flee a camera or turn away from one as soon as they see it. A group of missionaries who distributed photos ended up speared by an Amazonian tribe that they buzzed in their plane first.

same story with anything that records or plays the human voice on first contact.

Fire is something they understand obviously.

Giving them refined carbohydrates and creating a taste for it is sinful and to some extent metal goods as well. Their economy will change and they will become dependant on manufactured foods and goods.

Damaging their bushcraft and ethnobotanical knowledge is a part of cultural genocide.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

The video was filmed in the early nineties their culture may have vanished by now.

You would think that these days we'd be less likely to interfere or contact remote tribes like this, however by legislating against contact governments have encouraged illegal loggers and ranchers to kill or forcibly move on any they come across. :(

Interesting video, thanks to the OP, I'd like to find a version with the original soundtrack though.

This article...

http://www.slate.com/id/2264478/

The Most Isolated Man on the Planet - tells of the last of member of a small uncontacted tribe who lives in a 31 square mile reserve, surrounded by farmland and the 'civilized' world. The rest of his tribe/family were probably killed or scattered.

"...No other tribes in the region were known to live like he did, digging holes inside of huts—more than five feet deep, rectangular, serving no apparent purpose....On one occasion, the Indian delivered a clear message to one agent who pushed the attempts at contact too far: an arrow to the chest...In one jungle clearing they found the bulldozed ruins of several huts, each featuring the exact same kind of hole—14 in all—that the lone Indian customarily dug inside his dwellings. They concluded that it had been the site of his village, and that it had been destroyed by land-hungry settlers in early 1996..."

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I remember watching a doc about the tribes on the contested Guyana/Venezuela border about both countries working on leaving them out of the dispute, they would fly the the areas to locate the tribe groups then denote the surrounding area a no go for anyone, enforced by GDF and Venezuela's troops, very cool but probably very strained to maintain it. I hate these cosmetic companies who extol there virtues by saying that the bean/berry/tree sap they use is only collected in one village in the Amazon but it's cool as they have improved the lives of the villages by bringing in motors for there boats and medical aid/housing/generators and the locals help work to collect the product. I'm sure there so grateful to have to work for the life they once owned.

HOY SMOKES! that's almost an opinion on something that matters?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad its not just me.

With due deference to the OP and the mods I won't use the adjectives I want to.

But did anyone else bridle at the :tapedshut arrogance at the fact that it was their first meeting with "civilised" people?

Wonder how many children they have shot, bombed or exploited lately? Wonder if their clothes were made by forced labour in a sweat shop?

Perhaps it was the first meeting with civilised people - the first metting the camera crew had had with civilised people!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE